Thread: First post need help with MOLD

Thanks

Default First post need help with MOLD

Hey all. im worried!!! my adults have been popping out babies left and right and i have been keeping them in tubs on paper towels. i feed every other day and this evening i found a really light blue mold on my paper towels and it almost looked like windex cleaner. i lost 3 babies to it. i removed the rest of my geckos and moved them to a terrarium so the cages could breath better. what was the cause of this? any harm to humans, my kids are always holding the babies. kind of got me worried. i dont have a photo of it but just picture windex on a paper towel. thats about it.

Shane

Thanks

I'm no professional on mold's. Maybe pictures would help...
    Obviously clean out the tub entirely. I clean my cages with Vinegar/water.

You mentioned that they were in tubs, my guess is that there just isn't enough ventilation in your tubs.
    Drill more holes high, and low on the walls to get more airflow. Change the paper towel every week to prevent water/food/poop from molding.

Also, separating your pair may be a good idea. If you don't have a plan for the babies, continuing to breed might not be such a great idea.

Trevor.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 799 Posts

Ventilation is key, as is spraying less often or more lightly. No need to drench the tub, it should be a very light misting.

Bleach or even better some chlorhexidine or F10 veterinary sprays would help kill pathogens.

I don't think there is much risk to the humans, as it's more than likely due to constant exposure within the tub itself.
    Specializing in Crested Geckos
    Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
    Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
    Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Spyral For This Useful Post:

Viking (07-03-2015)

Thanks

I am also curious too see some pictures of this mold. I have seen the blackish type molds, but never a blue. I hear hydrogen peroxide is a good pathogen killer. In this case I would use veterinary grade spray though. This sounds like you have some kind of bad mold.

Thanks

If you have them in a tub I also suggest using a holesaw bit and making bigger holes and glue screening. Ventilation is crucial in a wet environment. Also let them get a dry out period between mistings. I live in a hot,humid environment and I only need a light misting every night.

Thanks

The blue color is odd. What brand of paper towel do you use and does it get fuzzy or flaky? I am just wondering if it could be what is in the paper towel. Mold shouldn't kill babies right away and I am just concerned about components in the paper you are using.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Grippin Geckos Canada View Post
    I'm no professional on mold's. Maybe pictures would help...
    Obviously clean out the tub entirely. I clean my cages with Vinegar/water.

You mentioned that they were in tubs, my guess is that there just isn't enough ventilation in your tubs.
    Drill more holes high, and low on the walls to get more airflow. Change the paper towel every week to prevent water/food/poop from molding.

Also, separating your pair may be a good idea. If you don't have a plan for the babies, continuing to breed might not be such a great idea.

Trevor.
    this is super old and I just saw it but why do u automatically assume I had no outlet for babies or I wasn't breeding for a reason? the hell? maybe u yourself shouldn't breed. I ask a question about mold and next thing I know this guy comes out of the woods with a well maybe u shouldn't breed. what a great bit of advice

Thanks

Your first two sentences could have been interpreted in different ways. As you intended and possibly that you weren't ready for so many babies and had to keep them in that manner because you weren't prepared for so many popping out. No worries... it is pretty much forgotten after two years now.

Thanks

I don't know you, so don't know your breeding plans and will not judge you, but most likely the "popping out babies left and right" comment didn't sound too responsible. Anyway, the post is a couple of years old. I'm assuming you got your mold problem fixed?
    Eileen
    TAD (Tiny Ancient Dinosaur) - Yellow flame dash pinstripe crestie 1.0.0
    Hygge, aka TBD (Tiny Badass Dragon) - Brown reticulated gargoyle 0.0.1
    Rody Jane - Cattledog/stinkwad mix 0.1.0
    Dixie Moonpie - Rattledog 0.1.0
    Ancient barn cats - 1.2.0