Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: OPEN DISCUSSION #2 food

Thanks

When i feed my crested geckos cricket i make sure the crickets have ate healthy before hand. Like i feed my crickets cgd,veggies or fruits. I do this a day or two before i give them to my geckos.
    Crested geckos 4:5:15
    Chewie. 0:1:1

http://www.facebook.com/cjgeckos

Thanks

Thanks for bringing up the natural food chain that includes cannibalism and preying on other species. I don't practice it, but it is natural, so I have no issue with it... so long as the deceased feeder animal has nothing it can pass along to cause harm of course.
    I think that chasing insects around cork bark and other objects in the cage is just fine and the toy is not a necessity for mental workouts. I will have to disagree with this one when it comes to crested geckos.

Thanks

I just wanted to talk about enrichment (i am writing this here because it is food related)...

I have seen a video on youtube, where a bearded dragon is put in a tub to feed... but with a twist, the live bugs are put into a *cat treat* ball... The ball moves (with the weight and movement of the bugs) and wow... you should see him go at em, he is having an amazing time...

Just wondering if this would work for our geckos (it might be fun for them, and give them a mental work-out?)

of course, it is one of those balls where they CAN get to the food

Edit: Sorry i moved it here, because it got stuck on the previous page for some reason (Crgecko managed to beat me to it haha)

And thank you Tom, but are you saying it would be harmful for them, or that you just don't beleive they would be interested?

Thanks

I'm on the road, but I will get back to your question as soon as I can.

Thanks

I have not watched this video, but think it could be unsafe as well as potentially cruel and most likely they wont be interested. Teasing an animal with food could affect it's response to prey items and it's intake of such prey. That could be considered cruel. They are also less robust than a beardie and can have issues with snout damage. This is all pointless to discuss if they don't care about the food after a couple attemps. Beardies are voracious cricket eaters in comparison to cresties and what looks like fun is most likely just that intense feed response and determination to eat. Any prolonged activity with this ball is probably because their stomach isn't full, so they press on with vigor and interest. No offense to your thoughts and observations.
    I think it is another example of someone thinking it is like a puppy or kitty and it entertains them as people. I know this may not be how you looked at it, but I think that was the premise of doing it in the first place. If it can be beneficial to the geckos, I wouldn't see an issue, but the downsides overweight the potential positive aspects of it for me.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Big Tom For This Useful Post:

Graham Barnfield (06-10-2015)

Thanks

ok, thank you for that, i won't try it then, but i do wish there is something that would keep the little guys occupied, instead of just sitting on a branch all day... maybe they don't need stimuli? (but thats a seperate topic anyway)

Edit: and i am thinking about their benefit, not something to make me giggle and go *awww*

Thanks

I know.
    They can be quite inquisitive at times... rather than just sitting on branches. Lol

Thanks

For my leopard geckos I supplement their meal worms and dubia roaches with a product called Vionate which is a multivitamin supplement. I mix this with a calcium supplement called Osteoform. Many known breeders use vionate due to it's quality and it's rich amount of vitamins and minerals. Vionate is a general animal vitamin supplement. I have never tried dusting crested gecko feeders with this stuff but am wondering if anyone here has had any experience with this? If so, would you recommend this? I'm thinking it could be quite beneficial to a gravid egg laying female?

Thanks

I don't know. It claims to have double the vitamin A and D3 than other brands... whatever th as t really means. If you feed PFMC and occasional gut loaded crickets lightly dusted with cal + icb, there isn't a need for it. They may benefit, durring the breeding season, by using a gut load, on prey items, that has calcium included. Remember that high doses of some vitamins can be toxic...more is not always better.

Thanks

Exactly why I haven't done it since their diets (both Pangea and Repashy) already have these vitamins I don't wanna supply them such a high dose. Just thought others might have possibly tried it. What I meant was dusted crickets with Vionate and Osteoform, not cal + icb.