Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: OPEN DISCUSSION #2 food

Thanks

I recommend varying the diet, but I don't think its 100% necessary. A crested gecko probably can live its entire life on CGD without ill effect. But varying the diet does provide benefits. Different nutrients and just switches things up. I offer crickets, meal worms, and fresh fruit occasionally to add variety. But if someone isn't comfortable with bugs and never feeds them I don't think it has ill affects on their geckos.

Thanks

hmmm the reptile shop where i am getting my gecko (uk) and other sources say that if you dont give them live food or calcium it will stunt their growth and shorten their lives but they WON'T get ill from it... i would rather have mine live a full, long life (barring any deathly accidents, and let's hope any of those don't happen)

Edit: and i am not being nasty or funny, but some american keepers on youtube says the standard life span of a crested is 4-8 years... over here in the uk it is 12-15 years plus

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Graham Barnfield For This Useful Post:

Big Tom (06-10-2015)

Thanks

I can tell you that I have geckos over 10 years old that are still breeding and doing very well on a mixed diet. I can tell you that live prey makes a marked difference in growth rate and that my animals get between 50 and 70 grams as adults. The one thing that I have seen here in the US is stunted growth due to breeding early and or overbreeding at a young age. I see breeders for sale that are too small to be breeders... I think that is much more the issue than diet when it comes to what is being said in the UK. Too much rushing to breed! I see it very regularly. It may be in part because of a slower growth rate when feeding CGD and the incapacity of some people to wait. General laziness by being able to buy a bag of CGD and not having to do anything else, coupled with the "I want it now" attitude, is a bad mix. I am not saying there aren't other reasons or preferences for only using a CGD, but I believe this is the root cause of the problem you have heard about.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Big Tom For This Useful Post:

crgecko (06-10-2015),Graham Barnfield (06-10-2015),jmiles95 (08-03-2015),Latifah Abdul'laah (06-10-2015)

Thanks

It is not the food. The PFMC is a great advancement... it is the silly humans again. lol

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Big Tom For This Useful Post:

crgecko (06-10-2015)

Thanks

Every source, whether it is a book, website, keeper or shop, is bound to have differing information on the husbandry of any animal, regardless of whether its domestic or exotic. It's best to look at a wide range of different sources instead of relying on one or two. Some sources are more qualified than others, however. When I got my first gecko, I was told it was suitable to feed it mealworms and unsupplemented banana. You can probably tell how that worked out.

I would personally recommend feeding dusted, gut-loaded insects as well as CGD. I dislike keeping crickets, but I'd rather put up the (many) negative things about them so that my geckos can have a bit of variety in their lives. I also want to start alternating CGD types as well.

That said, some geckos have little to no interest in insects. My crested gecko tends to ignore crickets unless they're directly in front of her nose. I've been thinking about dietary enrichment methods, such as hanging fruit treats in different parts of the vivarium, to mix things up a little. I've yet to try them, though.

I've heard the argument that CGD isn't 'natural' and that cresties should be only fed on fruits and insects. Whilst it is possible with proper supplementation, there's just too much room for error with that kind of diet. I'd rather have an animal live on an 'artificial' diet (whatever that means these days) and not have the risk of awful conditions and disfigurement caused by deficiencies.
    0.1.0 C. ciliatus (Hari)
    1.0.0 E. macularius (Sol)
    0.1.0 M. chahoua (Kodama)

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Countess Rhacula For This Useful Post:

Big Tom (06-10-2015),Graham Barnfield (06-10-2015)

Thanks

hmm.. maybe the pet store will let me buy 5 crickets at a time so I won't have to store 30+ crickets and risk them escaping again! I won't mind stopping weekly to the store

Thanks

I started with Repashy, and they ate.

I switched to Pangea and they're cleaning out their bowls.

I also feed phoenix worms once a week. I have a little one that really benefits from them, h/she came to me with what looks like mbd. After research, chatting with experienced breeders and keepers, and the vet, I decided phoenix worms were the way to go. I haven't been disappointed.

A good diet is #1.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Latifah Abdul'laah For This Useful Post:

Big Tom (06-10-2015),crgecko (06-10-2015)

Thanks

I have heard many people discuss their geckos not liking crickets, but have only had one that rarely would touch them. Maybe it is that I start them on crickets. I have bought geckos that weren't interested them, but durring a two week acclimation period, were only offered crickets, which led to a healthy appetite for them.
    I agree that not everyone has the capacity to formulate their own natural diets and it is better overall to have a trusted product to prevent issues.

Pet stores usually sell individual crickets.

Thanks

I usually alternate between Pange diets. Some smell sweeter than others, which I think is beneficial for my geckos. I believe it creates and stimulates a healthy mind & diet. I also alternate between crickets and roaches. My crested get Pangea diet at least 3 times a week and insects at least 2 times a week. I also like to skip at least one feed day( I'm not pro-overweight animals)

I have also fed my Phelsuma's other small geckos and lizards(already dead). Some might think it's a little cruel, but I try to replicate their diets. These particular Phelsuma's are WC.
    Abe

15. The Following User Says Thank You to DreadyA For This Useful Post:

Big Tom (06-10-2015)

Thanks

why is there a button saying *edit/delete* if i can only edit? lol