Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: OPEN DISCUSSION #2 food

Thanks

I recently discovered Gotham Geckos Bug-De-Lite's liquid calcium
    And on there it says;
    "More readily metabolized by reptiles, and more effective than powders. Recommended and prescribed by vets! Does not contain D3. Liquid calcium is great for rehabbing rescues, supplementing gravid females, and as an extra booster for growing babies."
    And I was wondering if I can add a little bit to Littlefoot's Pangea Fruit Mix Complete? and it be okay? I would really like to try it, they have a sample pack.
    I'm also thinking about feeding him crickets dusted with Repashy Calcium + Once a week too.
    Would this be too much Calcium?
    & Would I need a UVB light?
    Right now he doesn't have a light I usually open my curtains when I get up and the sunlight comes in and hits his enclosure, especially around 6/7pm in the evening.
    Would a light be better? If so, what brand, wattage & fixture would you recommend?

-Thank you!
    "Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened."
    #Adopt don't shop

Thanks

If you are feeding with a complete diet it is not necissary to add more calcium to your regular feedings. If you have breeding females I think an occasional boost is okay if their calcium sacs are getting depleted. A gecko exibiting signs of cal deficiency should have a cal supplement and 5.0 uvb until the symptoms are gone. UVB helps with cal absorption and D3 is is produced when exposed to UVB. The D3 is added to cal products to aide in the absorption where sunlight or UVB is insufficient. Keep in mind that crested geckos are nocturnal and though they are exposed to UVB in the wild it is probably much less than diurnal reptiles.
    Dusting crickets is fine with that product and it helps balance out the phosphorus ratios in crickets.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jubilos View Post
    Bumping an old thread for some of us newer people!

I tried raised feeding ledges but Shale seems to prefer it on the floor. She likes to use her front feet to tip the bowl up while eating and I guess it’s harder in the cup holder ledges.
    If your gecko likes eating on the floor you can try this dish to keep them from knocking over their food.
    https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcos...-dish-assorted
    The 1.5oz plastic dart cups fit perfectly in these. Though a couple of my adults have the ledges and still pull the cups out of the ledges with their feet when they jump lol.
    Facebook: Avid Exotics

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Big Tom View Post
    If you are feeding with a complete diet it is not necissary to add more calcium to your regular feedings. If you have breeding females I think an occasional boost is okay if their calcium sacs are getting depleted. A gecko exibiting signs of cal deficiency should have a cal supplement and 5.0 uvb until the symptoms are gone. UVB helps with cal absorption and D3 is is produced when exposed to UVB. The D3 is added to cal products to aide in the absorption where sunlight or UVB is insufficient. Keep in mind that crested geckos are nocturnal and though they are exposed to UVB in the wild it is probably much less than diurnal reptiles.
    Dusting crickets is fine with that product and it helps balance out the phosphorus ratios in crickets.
    But the liquid calcium doesn't have D3 in it, should I still not worry about getting it? & Littlefoot's tank is dark even when I have the curtains opened, and only gets an hour or two in the evenings of light on his enclosure when the sun is starting to go down.
    Name:  IMG_1003.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  43.3 KB
    Is this enough for him?
    I'm sorry to bug ya, I just want to make sure he's okay in every aspect.
    "Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened."
    #Adopt don't shop

Thanks

I am glad to see that you are monitoring temps after you mentioned the sun hitting the enclosure. The cal is okay if it is just used on occasion, but not a necessity. I have some on hand in case I have a need for it.

Thanks

Just sent you a PM in answer to yours.

You shouldn't need the extra calcium if you're feeding the Pangea or Repashy, and you're not breeding.

My PM explained my setup for lighting, as mine are in a somewhat dark corner as well. Some natural light is good, but not direct sunlight.
    Eileen
    TAD (Tiny Ancient Dinosaur) - Yellow flame dash pinstripe crestie 1.0.0
    Hygge, aka TBD (Tiny Badass Dragon) - Brown reticulated gargoyle 0.0.1
    Rody Jane - Cattledog/stinkwad mix 0.1.0
    Dixie Moonpie - Rattledog 0.1.0
    Ancient barn cats - 1.2.0

7. The Following User Says Thank You to TAD For This Useful Post:

PersonalZookeeper (09-30-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyPaws View Post
    If your gecko likes eating on the floor you can try this dish to keep them from knocking over their food.
    https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcos...-dish-assorted
    The 1.5oz plastic dart cups fit perfectly in these. Though a couple of my adults have the ledges and still pull the cups out of the ledges with their feet when they jump lol.
    Thanks for the tip! I actually have a ledge but Shale seems to prefer to sit on her log and eat off the floor without any holders. Luckily she's a neat eater and hasn't made a mess (yet!)

I got a miniature paper plate maker meant for dollhouses and have been making her tiny dinner plates instead of the boring plastic cups
    Name:  IMG_E7936.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  94.4 KB

I'm thinking of selling some for a very nominal fee... would anyone be interested? I have a bunch of different patterns!

Thanks

Those plates are adorable! If only I knew for sure that Calcifer wouldn't eat them.... :P
    1.0.0 Crested Gecko, Calcifer

Thanks

Thanks! That’s a good point.

I was thinking they'd be good for hatchlings since there are so many posts about people not being able to tell if the little ones are eating. Or little dabs of treats like puréed fruit.