Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OPEN DISCUSSION #2 food

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default OPEN DISCUSSION #2 food

With having so many options, due to the dedicated development of diets and the propication of live foods, what are your thoughts on food sources, feeding schedules, variety, supplimentation, prey feed and anything else that is relevant to the dietary needs of our geckos. Is there anything that you do outside of the norm that may be of benefit?
    Remember to keep talks civil, as we are using this to share information and ideas, for the betterment of our animals and community.

One thing that I do is allow algae to grow naturally in my water jugs. From having kept dart frogs, I have noticed that my really healthy tanks had a mossy/patchouli scent, so it was introduced into my water to aide in creating healthy setups. I also noticed that it grew on some of my moss that I used durring crested gecko photo shoots (this was never in contact with the frogs) and my geckos, on occasion, we're trying to eat it. I know that cartenoids are used in gecko diets and that algae is most likely inadvertently (or maybe intentionally from my observation with the moss) consumed in the wild. Now it 8s part of my routine and I occasionally add powdered spirulina in with my suppliments.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Big Tom For This Useful Post:

crgecko (06-10-2015)

Thanks

I will be certainly following this thread.

Right now I have Repashy in a mock-rock dish on the bottom of the tank. I have NO idea if he's eating it or not. I ordered the small magnetic rock ledges with bowls, so I hope to see some activity there once it's up higher. I should get that in soon. I also ordered 3 different flavors of Pangea to mix it up a bit.

Thanks

I use all the flavors of pangea an sometimes buy a different foodfor them. They like the banana flavor the most. But sometimes i really dont see an marks or anything like they've ate. Its like after repashy changed things my feeding went down in response. At times with pangea they will eat a good amount but rarely will it happen. AZ Ny ideas by chance.
    Crested geckos 4:5:15
    Chewie. 0:1:1

http://www.facebook.com/cjgeckos

Thanks

I find that the Pangea Diets work really well. I use the apricot and banana flavor as a base and mix in 25% of one of the other flavors every other PFMC feeding. Gut loaded crickets are given with a little cal +icb and occasionally some of that spirulina added in. The adults get more of the PFMC and the hatchlings get mostly crickets. My opinion is that minor fluctuations in flavor and live feed response helps them feed more consistently.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Big Tom For This Useful Post:

crgecko (06-10-2015)

Thanks

Crickets are not necessary, right? They can go through life without bugs?

Reason I ask, is because I got one of those cricket keepers with the black tubes. bought some crickets and put them in there. made sure everything was tightly closed. Set it in my closet on a shelf (Wanted it out of the cats view). Next thing I know, I see the buggers hopping around my house and the cats going crazy! I do not want a repeat episode and I do not want to deal with the crickets anymore, lol. For one guy, I don't want to buy more than I need of any bugs.

(though Sandy did take some dusted crickets from the tweezers when I offered, I know he likes them)

Thanks

I only give bugs 1 or 2 an week, nothing more than that.

Thanks

i was wondering, is this true?

I have heard if they are not getting live foods (even if they have a calcium suppliment mixed with their food) this will greatly shorten their life-spans and stunt their growth?

Thanks

In addition..

Live vs Dead bugs.. I see dead bugs sold in petstores. I'd rather feed that if it's just as good as live? I don't want them hopping around my home again lol

Thanks

Personally i don't think they would be just as good as alive, unless the freeze dryed them or something like that. But hard to say.

Thanks

Live prey will give you a better growth rate... they won't eat the dead bugs in a can. Lol
    Tall smooth sided tubs work great for holding crickets. They can't climb them.
    Crested geckos have been known to do fine on some of the gecko diets, but most manufacturers recommend using insects in conjunction with their product. I would recommend using insect also. We discussed quality of life in the previous thread... how would it be to eat the exact same thing every day? We can't be certain that every trace of their needs, when it comes to dietary elements, will be met by a single source? As great as the diets are, at this point in time, I believe that occasional live prey or other sources should be provided.
    When I mentioned using mixes, of the PFMC flavors, it may also be beneficial because of the different components. I would guess that the fruits they would eat in the wild are seasonal and or have a different smell/taste depending on the season or ripeness... and possibly the nutrient content. The insects would also be ingesting a mixture of different plant matter throughout the year.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Big Tom For This Useful Post:

crgecko (06-10-2015)