Thread: leapin lizard, literally!! (gargoyle)

Thanks

Default leapin lizard, literally!! (gargoyle)

hey all,
    so my gargoyle is about a year and a half old but we got him a few months ago and he hasn't really calmed down yet. He stays for a little but he just jumps, he's even jumped and landed on the floor a few times. our crestie and our sarasinorum calmed down very quickly but we got them when they were only a few months old so I wonder if that makes a difference? Are gargs usually more active and jumpy? Does anyone have any recomdations or suggestions? thanks all!

Thanks

It very much depends on the gecko- some never calm down while others are calm their whole lives! If he wasn't handled very much as a baby he just isn't used to it. I've had very very flighty babies that became mellow shoulder-sitters as adults with regular handling. I personally have a male Garg that I've had for nearly three years- he's pretty jumpy still. I also have a female I purchased as a sub-adult who is totally chill. She just sits there. Looking fat. She was a pet store gecko so I'm fairly certain she wasn't handled a lot. Just different personalities!

Some suggestions:
    Try to handle him during the day time when he's sleepier. If you handle in the evening or at night they are very awake and want to jump everywhere!
    Do short, but consistent daily handling sessions. Try maybe 5 minutes a day (ideally while seated if you've got a belly-flopper!) and just walk him over your hands.

I'm sure he'll calm down and be a little sweetie
    Crested Geckos: I lost count :| 60-some last time I checked | Gargoyles: 1.1 | Leachianus: 1.1.1
    Chahoua: 1.0 | Sarasinorum: 0.1 | Leopard Geckos: 0.2 | Robert Mertens' Day Gecko: 1.1
    Russian Dwarf Hamster: 0.1 | BUNNEHS: 0.2
    [-| iHerp |-]

Thanks

Thanks so much!! I'll try that. I love when he's calm and he just sits. Our crestie will stay in one spot, and she even lays down and cuddles on my arm or my hand, wherever she is. Hopefully i can get him to calm down a little bit more. Thanks for the help!!