Thread: Chahoua tail kinks

Thanks

Default Chahoua tail kinks

So I'm having some issues with my 6 month old chahoua gecko. There's some slight kinks in its tail, and I'm not sure exactly what's caused them. When I received it at the start of the year only the very end of its tail looked weird, but I assumed this was down to dehydration and I left it alone, thinking it would sort itself out. It hasn't, as the kinks have gotten worse.

It doesn't have any other visible issues; no swollen limbs, twitching or underbites. As far as behaviour goes it's perfectly fine - it's very active and kind of a mischievous little critter.

I feed regular Repashy CGD, with Calcium+ dusted, gut-loaded crickets once or twice a week. I've not fed it anything else apart from homemade fruit mix and that was on one occasion about two months ago because I ran out of CGD. Temps and humidity are fine, and I supply a water dish. It's on a paper towel substrate at the moment, with only natural lighting. I've read that chahoua are more prone to deficiencies than the other rhacs, but can they really still develop deficiencies while on this diet?

I've left a bottle top with pure calcium in its vivarium. Should I use calcium with d3 instead? Would installing a UV light help it recover? I'm pretty stressed out about the whole thing. If anyone could offer any advice I'd be really grateful.

Thanks

From what I know, FTS (floppy tail syndrome) may occur if you don't provide enough horizontal resting places where the animal can rest the tail without it hanging. I keep plenty of cork bark positioned as such in an effort to avoid this for my chewies. Also, check to see if he/she is sleeping face down vertically. This causes the tail to 'flop' over. If this happens too often, it can lead to FTS.

Beyond that, it's hard to say what may be happening.

Thanks

Sorry, but it's definitely not FTS. Here's a photo of it. I'm fairly sure it's calcium deficiency. I just need to know the best way of treating it before it gets any worse.

Thanks

It sounds as if you're doing everything right. You might try a 5.0 UVB as I understand chewies sometimes bask in the wild. Maybe start out on a short light cycle and if he needs it, he will bask.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to odduc748 For This Useful Post:

Sachi Whitsett (04-23-2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Countess Rhacula View Post
    Should I use calcium with d3 instead? Would installing a UV light help it recover?
    Yes, get the calcium with D3. All my Chahoua geckos love a basking light. Just make sure you don't go over 80 degrees.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 799 Posts

Do not use D3 in a calcium bowl that the gecko can free feed from. If the gecko decides to splurge on it, this could be a deadly dose. Only use it when dusting crickets or as a rare addition to the CGD if s/he doesn't eat many bugs.

My advice:
    1) A UVB light as suggested above
    2) A moist hide and switch to natural substrate when older, they seem to do really well with that
    3) Feed gutlaoded, dusted bugs 2-3X a week
    4) Check to see how often s/he is eating the CGD - some chewies are very picky about commercial diet and you may not want to rely on it alone

Monitor weight and growth. From the picture, s/he looks rather large for a 6 month old but could be an issue with scale vs the size of your arm. If this gecko is growing very fast, it's quite likely the tail kinks are a sign of rapid growth. The above advice will help as well. I'm actually not a fan of leaving a calcium bowl around since with misting and active geckos it can make a huge mess, plus I'm not convinced they are good self-regulators of calcium, and too much calcium too often can cause issues with the absorption of other nutrients. However, if it works for others, it's something to try.
    Specializing in Crested Geckos
    Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
    Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
    Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook

Thanks

Thanks for the advice, guys.

I've bought a new 5.0 bulb and it should be arriving today, so I'll be able to try that later on. I'm actually planning to move it into a live vivarium when it gets older, but in the meantime I'll make sure to add a moist hide.
    As far as I can tell it seems like a good eater as regards both Repashy and dusted crickets. It's usually eating at its CGD dish a few minutes after I put it in the tank, although it eats more of it when the dish has sat for a day or so.

The photo does look a bit weird, or maybe I've just got funny arms. I've just weighed the chahoua and it's 23g. When I received it in January it was about 9g and roughly 3 months old, so it's actually closer to 7 months now, I believe. I'm not sure if that's a fast or slow growth rate.

I did actually manage to get a glimpse of its calcium sacs yesterday, and they seem quite small compared to those of my adult crestie. Assuming that calcium sacs are the same in chahoua as they are in cresties, no wonder it's having problems.
    0.1.0 C. ciliatus (Hari)
    1.0.0 E. macularius (Sol)
    0.1.0 M. chahoua (Kodama)