Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Garg and leopard together?

Thanks

Default Garg and leopard together?

There is a leopard gecko at my local pet store, he's been there for months and months, like to give him a home, have my garg in a 75 gallon tank so plenty of room, do you think they would fight tho?

Thanks

You do not mix species in the same tank. That just simply shouldn't happen.
    1.0.0 Leopard Geckos (Odie)
    0.1.1 Crested Geckos (Zero, Unnamed)
    1.0.0 Cat (Charlie)

Thanks

Regardless of whether mixing species is OK, leopard geckos come from arid environments and gargs come from humid, temperate rainforest, so --no.

Aliza

4. The Following User Says Thank You to acpart For This Useful Post:

Spyral (04-09-2015)

Thanks

Well from what I've found the temperatures are similar range except leopard needs a hide box with a higher temp 85-95 which is easy to do in that size cage. Where leopards spend most of the time on the ground and my Garg spends his time up in the (trees) I've made its achieveable to make a hot hide on one end warm hide in middle cool hides on the other end. The humidity level are around the same range 50-55%, although the Garg should have a brief raise in humidity twice a day to 90% or so. This is still do able where I can raise the humidity in top portion of the cage leaving the bottom at the norm 50-55%. This happens naturally anyway when I crank up the humidifier to raise the humidity twice a day, the top gauges raise in humidity then the lower, have gauges on upper and lower of both ends of the habitat. But u can all relax decided not to get him, just feel bad for the lil guy sits in a cage with nothing in there no hide or anything the gauge in there says 5% humidity and 65 Highest I've seen it is 70

Thanks

Tanks are relatively cheap especially for a 10 or 20 gallon long. I've seen some for like 20 bucks and you could probably find one cheaper than that. If you really want to give the gecko a home, just get another tank and all the accessories it entails. It seems like a hassle to do all that, let alone the fact you really shouldn't keep different species together.
    0.1.0 Leopard Gecko(s)
    0.0.1 Gargoyle Gecko(s)
    Hopefully more to come!

Thanks

Did you read my last post?

Thanks

Yea, did I miss something?
    0.1.0 Leopard Gecko(s)
    0.0.1 Gargoyle Gecko(s)
    Hopefully more to come!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 799 Posts

I know you didn't buy him, but in case the subject comes up again, it's better to have the information available to anyone who comes across this post. There are many reasons not to house these two together:

Geographically and ecologically they do not belong together
    * Combining their distinct needs in one enclosure can be difficult, you would have to sacrifice low humidity for the leo or your gargoyle could die. I do not have leos but I know exposing other desert animals to higher than 30% humidity can cause respiratory infections and tail rot
    * Leos need really high temps to digest food. While gargoyles may like a heat lamp at 85 degrees, it could be very dangerous.
    * They can carry diseases that could really harm each other, since they may not have the same evolved immunities. Compare to small pox and Native Americans - they had no defense against it because they had never been exposed and their population was severely depleted.

Both are prey-driven species
    * Although gargs tend to stay in the branches, they do investigate the floor from time to time. Even if you have sweet and sociable animals, there is a strong possibility one or both would be hurt as they roam and hunt in the enclosure, attacking each other by mistake.
    * If you have a territorial animal, this could be much worse.

While I'm not against mixing species entirely, it's important to know what can go wrong and why. Two animals from very different eco systems should just not be put together in a confined space. If you had an entire room or zoo exibit it might be possible to put the two eco systems with a gradation zone, but that doesn't rule out animals doing "stupid" things like wander into a dangerous area, dehydrate and die, get exposed to something, eaten by the other inhabitant, etc.
    Specializing in Crested Geckos
    Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
    Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
    Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Spyral For This Useful Post:

reccos493 (04-09-2015)

Thanks

I agree. Two different species, two different climates, two different diets!!
    If you are having a hard time getting a glass tank, use a plastic tub that many breeders use. Paper towel on bottom, some plastic leaves and water and spray it once or twice a day. The tub can be no more than 6-8 inches deep. Poke holes all around it or even cut out the top of the lid and hot glue wire mesh on top. Good luck!
    -Bridgette

Thanks

wow lol. guys let the thread die its done n over with