Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: More Parthenogenic Eggs!

Default More Parthenogenic Eggs!

Some of you may remember the thread I started last summer. Quinn laid a pair of parthenogenic eggs on Easter Day of last year, and one hatched with its innards outside the chest (found it dead) and the other egg sweated but did not hatch. I posted pictures of the first hatchling on that thread. When I opened the other egg months later, it was so deteriorated that all I could see was part of the crestie's back, which was very similar to Quinn's. Several years before that, Quinn laid an egg that had two pieces of something inside that is just now starting to indent, mainly because I haven't had any viable eggs for a long time and let the substrate dry out. It was definitely not viable after being in the incubator for so long.

Quinn has been housed alone since May of 2010, and she's my first crestie. Today I found two more eggs in her cage while cleaning, and there's a cheerio in one of them. The other one is indented, but not that badly. I didn't candle that one. I just got a bag of Hatch 'em and am soaking some right now for those eggs.

Quinn seems to be doing her best to give me a baby. I hadn't planned to breed her because her head is a bit on the long side, but her colors are quite nice. She fires up to a chocolate shade with orange and white. With her laying parthenogenic eggs like this, I'm reluctant to put her with a male because I'm curious about her ability to reproduce without a male. None of my other girls has ever laid a parthenogenic egg.
    Boston Terrier 1.0, Stetson R.I.P. 8/15/2015.
    Rough Collie (rescued) 1.0, Teddy
    Crested Geckos 9.11.12
    Pine Isle Chahoua 1.0.1 Hunter, Cami
    Leopard Geckos 1.2 Confetti, Snowdrop, & Beauty
    Bearded Dragon 1.0 Jayden

Interesting! Keep us updated.
    3.4.0 Correlophus ciliatus (crested geckos)

Will do, Treebiscuit!

The dented one is just a smidgen less dented now that it's been in the damp substrate, and I tried candling it. There's a stain on one side of the egg so I can't really tell for sure, but it's not the greenish/yellowish color that you see when candling dud eggs. I'm so excited! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that these hatch out healthy and strong.
    Crested Geckos 9.11.12

Good luck! Keep us posted.
    Specializing in Crested Geckos
    Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
    Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
    Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook

Super interesting!
    0.1 Crested 2.1 Gargoyle 0.1 Mourning

This morning I checked the eggs, and the dented one has a slimy feel to it and is giving off a moldy smell. I moved to the other side of the incubator so it wouldn't do anything to the one with the cheerio. The one with the cheerio appears to be fine.
    Crested Geckos 9.11.12

Anything new?

I put the eggs on the Hatch'em and followed the directions, letting it sit in the strainer for a good 20 minutes before putting the substrate into the incubator and then putting the eggs in, but I think it was still too damp. The egg with the cheerio started sweating and became sort of slimy, and at this point it doesn't look like it's likely to hatch. I put a small piece of paper towel between it and the Hatch'em, but it's probably too late. Both the eggs are in the incubator, but not looking good.

I never had any trouble using perlite, so if she does it again I'll probably go back to that. It would be really nice to have a parthenogenic hatchling, and she seems to be trying really hard to give me one. I'm keeping an eye on her lay box and hoping for more. She has never been with a male so her egg laying is sporadic and it's hard to tell when she might do it again.
    Crested Geckos 9.11.12

Whoo-ee! Right after posting this ^ I went in to mist the cresties and checked the lay boxes. Quinn gave me another pair of eggs, once again a perfect one and one that is somewhat flattened. I candled them, and the perfect one has a sort of pinkish tinge to it, not the greenish-yellow of a bad egg, and the other one is similar, but not quite as pinkish. I put them on damp perlite. Thank you, Quinn, for giving me another chance after messing up with that last clutch! Everybody keep your fingers crossed!
    Crested Geckos 9.11.12

Here are some pictures taken this evening.

First clutch:

Second clutch:

And the momma wanna-be Quinn, who is unfired in these pictures. When she fires up, he background is the color of a Hershey's bar, her dorsal and sides are red/orange, and her partial pinning really pops. It's hard to catch her fired up. She's not really bent in the second picture. She was trying not to slide off the side of the fridge, LOL.

Crested Geckos 9.11.12