Thread: Wonīt mate

Thanks

Default Wonīt mate

Hi, I have a 4/5 year female gargoyle and recently bought a 1,5 year old male. The have been living together since 19/02, it's been more than a month
    there has been no bitting - exept one time in the first few days where I woke up (I have the terrarium in my bedroom) because the male bit the female in the face and got a piece of skin stuck in his tooth, as both were trying to pull apart, every time they tried, the female made sadest moan/sound I ever eard, so I helped them out - so far no lost tails or marks what so ever.

they eat and poop, the male was a little bit over 30g (the minimum according to repashy's book)and has been gaing weight and female always keeps around 65g.

But I'm worried that I have not seen any eggs.. according to the book they should tear each other apart in the beggining and lay eggs after a few days... But I donīt have the first (thank god) or the second..

Any ideias?

Thanks

Eggs don't come for a month or more. I would have waited to grow that male out a little more. It sounds like you are rushing the process a bit.

Thanks

A month has passed, but I'll keep on waiting.
    From what I saw the problem with introducing them too early would be the smaller male could be bullied out of eating so I've been keeping a close eye on his weight, and all seems well

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 799 Posts

In leachianus geckos, females are very unlikely to mate with a weaker (smaller) male so I would say she could have rejected him. I would separate and reintroduce (preferably when he's bigger) in order to spark the "romance".

Depending on where a female is on her egg formation cycle, it can be 45-60 days before you get the first eggs, and then around 30 days afterwards for the next few months.
    Specializing in Crested Geckos
    Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
    Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
    Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook

Thanks

Are Cresties like Leos in that they only mate when they are ovulating? Or is ovulation induced by mating with them (kinda like a cat)? I breed Leos but I am still learning about Cresties, and I know a female Leo will turn down a male if she isn't ovulating. Sometimes quite violently and aggressively if he keeps trying.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 799 Posts

Since females store sperm, they will mate at any time in their ovulation cycle. However, the female may also rebuff the male if she isn't in the mood. In the wild they probably don't interact often and are more willing to mate when they do. That's why separating and reintroducing can be an effective "trick" for breeding success.
    Specializing in Crested Geckos
    Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
    Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
    Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Spyral For This Useful Post:

cowana (04-01-2015)

Thanks

Okay, thanks. Leos store sperm as well so I know what that is about.

Thanks

What is a good breeding size for a female, and male?
    5.6.1 Crested geckos
    1.1.0 leos
    1.0.0 Gargoyle

Thanks

I go with 40 grams and some males can go a little lighter. You just have to watch the young males because they tend to thin out and have to be pulled from breeding. A 2 year old 40+ gram animal is your best bet for health and productivity... for male or female.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Big Tom For This Useful Post:

Sachi Whitsett (07-03-2015)