Thread: Gargoyle Gecko Info?

Thanks

Default Gargoyle Gecko Info?

Hi, I would like to know about Gargoyle Geckos, because I'm buying one on the 4th of April. I don't wanna ask the people at the pet store because I got a tortoise there and they gave me some wrong info. I wouldn't want any of my pets to die or get sick

Please try to be very descriptive because I'm very dumb.

Thank you in advance!

Thanks

I highly recommend that you get a book because there's too much information to put it into a thread. The latest book is Gargoyle Geckos by Philippe de Vosjoli, Allen Repashy and Frank Fast published by Advanced Visions (www.advancedvis.com)

Aliza

Thanks

Unhappy Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by acpart View Post
    I highly recommend that you get a book because there's too much information to put it into a thread. The latest book is Gargoyle Geckos by Philippe de Vosjoli, Allen Repashy and Frank Fast published by Advanced Visions (www.advancedvis.com)

Aliza
    Thank you, but I don't have that book in any of my bookstores near me. <-- I'm really dumb.

The page won't load up for me because I have a horrible laptop.

Thank you again,
    -Gargecko

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 799 Posts

Luckily, gargoyle gecko care is very similar to crested gecko care so most crestie care sheets will give you what you need to know. However, there are a few key differences.

Gargs grow bigger, and can have a more painful bite, easily drawing blood if they are feeling particularly sassy.

Their personalities are more laid back towards people, they are less flighty and they seem to be less picky eaters. Mine really like banana and other fruit, my cresties are less enthusiastic about them.

Do NOT house gargoyles together if you are a beginner. Most keepers keep separate except for breeding.

Gargs are less likely to hide in leaves but do like bigger sturdy sticks or plant vines to perch on. They are often out during the day and seem to enjoy basking in daylight and slightly higher max temperatures (82 vs 80).

Female gargoyles have prominent pseudopores so you may get a juvenile male that is actually a female. It can take some experience with gargs to accurately sex them.

I've only kept them for a year and half but those are my impressions so far.
    Specializing in Crested Geckos
    Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
    Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
    Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook

Thanks

Thank you, I just wanted to know how old they are when they can mate? Thank you.

Thanks

Here are a few care sheets with good info in my opinion:
    http://www.neherpetoculture.com/gargscrestiescaresheet
    http://www.gallerygeckos.com/rhac-care.html
    I've recently purchased a gargoyle gecko and found these to be very helpful. Pangea diets have worked for me so far, with some sort of insect fed once a week (crickets or roaches are the best in my opinion). Make sure you do your research and good luck!

Thanks

I use wide pieces of hardwood bark made two ramps with a platform on top, and wrapped these around it. He loves it gives him a place to climb on, and sit on any part of it, and be hidden. Adds some color to, comes in one long vine.

Fluker's Repta Vines-Purple Coleus https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000YLB8Q0..._O0Yevb1B2G6XG
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000YLB8Q0..._O0Yevb1B2G6XG

Thanks

Thank you all for the links! I'll post some pictures of him/her when I get the gecko.