Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Probably a Stupid Dubia Question

Thanks

Default Probably a Stupid Dubia Question

I want to start a small colony to ocassionally feed to my cresties as well as give some to my mothers hedgehogs. Do I need to house the sizes separately or can I house all sizes together without worrying too much about cannibalism?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 799 Posts

You can raise them together just make sure there is plenty of food and leave some "frass" on the floor of the enclosure. The babies hide in it and may also eat it for beneficial gut flora passed on from the parent roaches. The hard part will be separating sizes out for cresties and hedgehogs. You can use plastic flower pots that have drainage holes in them - depending on the size of holes, of course.
    Specializing in Crested Geckos
    Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
    Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
    Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook

Thanks

I hadn't thought about using flower pots to do at least an initial size separation for feeding. I am feeding dubias my roommate's pair of leos, my little 4.3 gram crestie, and a brown anole. So an easy way to get to just the smallest nymphs would be really helpful for feeding my two. The leos can take almost full grown roaches so they are not as much trouble. The colony will undoubtedly reproduce faster than I can feed them off, but I will deal with that when and if it becomes a problem.

Thanks

Just make sure you provide alot of hiding area. Egg flats are perfect for that. You can house several thousand mixed sizes in one tub. All you need is food,water crystals, Egg flats, and a heat source. Give it a little time and you will start seeing tons of nymphs.

Thanks

I have eggs flats,roach chow,water crystals. What is the best way to heat the tub,without burning down our house? The house stays about 70 degrees for the happiness of the cresties.

Thanks

At the recommendation of the person I bought my starter colony from I am using a small undertank heat pad. Because I am using a smallish bin it heats about half. My egg flats are on that end and the food and water crystals are on the other so they don't dry out too fast. I have left the adhesive backing on it so it is easy to move the bin when I want to deal with the roaches.

Thanks

I hang the heat panel inside my dubia tub. Lots of heat means lots of breeding.

Thanks

This has not been as easy as when I accidentally started breeding mealworms years ago.
    They don't go into the eggs crates,they all hang out under the bottom egg crate. it when I put in paper towel tubes they went in. Can I use tubes instead of egg crates?
    I also found out the hard why that the smallest nymphs can climb the sides of the plastic bin

Thanks

Put the panels in vertically, not horizontally. You can use tubes, but crate provides a lot more area.

Thanks

Could it be the bin? I turned the crates,but the extra dumb roaches are still all huddled together behind the crates. The center of the bin is slightly raised,or has a lip around the outside,depending on how you look at it