Thread: Substrate

Default Substrate

I'm thinking about changing the substrate in one of my tanks to something more natural like this jungle dirt mix I have. I know I couldn't live feed with that substrate and I was wondering if there are any other nice looking ones out there for somewhat cheap. And also, how often do you need to change a natural substrate?
    Cresties - 1.1.1

Spot clean and change completely every four to six months

i use a mix from NEHERP but you can easily mix your own.

the cheapest subrate out there i think are those blocks of dehydrated coco fiber. You rehydrate it with water. makes a TON! but the problem with coco fiber is it compacks real quickly, so you should get a nice big bag of spaghnum moss (you kind find it on the cheap at places like lowes/ home depot where all the planting stuff is, usually next to the orchid mulch stuff) to help keep it airrated. I personally think it looks nicer too

You could use your jungle mix too, not sayin ya can't, was just tellin ya the super cheap options for a nice substrate :P
    Check out my website for helpful info about Crested Geckos, Gargoyle Geckos, Abronia Alligator Lizards, and Brazilian Rainbow Boas
    Sovereign Reptiles

0.1.0 Gargoyle Gecko || Honey Bear
    1.1.1 Crested Gecko || Malakai, Snapshot, Tiny

If you have a live, planted tank that's bio-active, you don't have to clean substrate except for stirring it up a bit - but adult geckos can do a lot of digging. Besides wiping down the glass and furnishings like branches, you don't have to do much cleaning. Eventually things break down and you have to add more soil mixture.
    Specializing in Crested Geckos
    Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
    Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
    Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook

Ooh thanks for all the ideas.. I never thought about trying a live plant vivarium. Maybe I'll give that a try

Would coconut husk work? If not suggest something please. Thanks

I have coco fiber if that has some problems how would you use the moss or any thing else.