Thread: A day night cycle in my bedroom

Thanks

Question A day night cycle in my bedroom

I'm getting a my first lizard tomorrow (a gargoyle gecko) and I'm planning on keeping him in my bedroom. But I'm worried I'll have issues setting up a day night cycle because i spend a lot of my night in my room at my computer with the light on. I'm wondering what to do, if i can/need to put a blanket or something like that over the terrarium at night, or if i can leave the terrarium light on all day and turn it off at night and he'll know it's nighttime.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 799 Posts

If it's not too bright in the room at night, you might not have to do anything once his terrarium light shuts off. But if it is too bright, it could keep him from coming out to explore. A Towel over the cage could definitely help. Make sure he's not completely covered, he still needs ventilation.
    Specializing in Crested Geckos
    Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
    Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
    Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook

Thanks

Agree, either maybe use the comp with lights off when it hits like 8pm, or wrap something around the glass, don't want to cover the top much

Thanks

On most computers you could lower the brightness to a dim low light. My desktop is right next to my tank and he comes out fine .

Thanks

i sleep with my tv on and it lets off quite a bit of light in my room. i drape a sheet or towel over my tanks to eliminate this.

Thanks

A computer screen light and or TV light will not be bright enough to discourage your gecko. So long as a desk light or room light is not on and directed at the terrarium, you will be fine.
    If you cannot avoid a desk light.. buy one of those small folding walls found in décor stores and put it around the tank, almost making a separate area in your room.

Thanks

I will often leave a lamp on in my bedroom after lights out and my gargs wake up and go about their business just fine. Just as long as it's not shining right at the tank it should be okay.