Thread: Basking Light?

Thanks

Default Basking Light?

I really want a chewie. In my research, some care sheets mention the use of a basking light. How many chewie owners use one? And is there a difference between chewies that have and those that don't?

Thanks

Since no ones answered i'll offer my two cents: I put a exo terra medium sized lamp on the top of my cage (wire top) with a regular fluorescent (60 watt I believe?) inside. I then put a branch a little bit down from it so he can choose to 'bask' if he wants. Since they are a nocturnal gecko they don't really bask exactly, but I do notice that he has chosen a clump of fake leaves at the top of the tank not the bottom (where it would be cooler) as his sleeping spot.

Do you need a basking light?
    If you mean those big hot red lights often with a beardie on the box i'd say no. A clamp light and a suitable, warm fluorescent should be fine. This will help keep your temps correct anyways and offer a heat gradient, so he can choose where to be depending on his body temp. Plus it makes it easier to see your tank if theres a light =)
    0.0.1 - Abel Gideon - Northern BTS
    1.0 - Timey Wimey - Crested Gecko
    1.0 - Sammy - Chahoua

Oliver has found a new forever home

Thanks

I use them with my chewies nothing major 30 to 45 watt and they seem to like it
    My room temps are always 62-68 so I cam the majority of my Rhacs on heat

Thanks

I kept mine without for awhile than with to see the difference. I noticed that the chewie thrived more once the heat was added. I use a black light heat bulb. The watt depends on your temps but I keep my basking spot at 82-85F. You will notice better humidity control, eating response and just a better life. Mine actually basks at night, and usually sleeps on the warmer side. Have no fear of over heating unless you exceed 90F.

Remember Chahoua are found a bit higher in the canapy than ciliatus, so they are going to have access to warmer temps.

Thanks

I have my adult chahouas with lights and my sub adults and younger without. The adults seem to really like the light and come out to bask even when it's day, just depends on the geckos mood. The ones with no direct light on them will sometimes cling to the front side of the container during the day but I do see more activity and movement from my lit up terrariums.
    Name:  10355892_253901221467985_8976071950574127418_n.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  79.7 KB
    Name:  1606993_253901208134653_2544403682064608275_n.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  92.2 KB

Thanks

I use a black light bulb, 25 watt. Not much heat. From time to time I have seen my little gal under the light, but not often.

Thanks

I use a UVB 10.0 and my kids seem to go to it and sleep under it from time to time. it puts out a bit of heat not much. And the added benefit of UVB to help with calcium absorption
    5.6.1 Crested geckos
    1.1.0 leos
    1.0.0 Gargoyle

Thanks

Sachi - UVB 10.0 is extremely high for nocturnal geckos. That's what is supposed to be used for desert reptiles, such as Bearded Dragons, that bask in direct sunlight all day. Since they are nocturnal, they're better with a 2.0 (or up to a 5.0, but even that's a bit high). It's not proven, but there is some suggestion that high UVB can damage their eyes, plus their skin isn't designed to handle exposure to direct high-levels of UVB (much like human skin, it can burn when exposed to it).
    Crested Geckos: I lost count :| 60-some last time I checked | Gargoyles: 1.1 | Leachianus: 1.1.1
    Chahoua: 1.0 | Sarasinorum: 0.1 | Leopard Geckos: 0.2 | Robert Mertens' Day Gecko: 1.1
    Russian Dwarf Hamster: 0.1 | BUNNEHS: 0.2
    [-| iHerp |-]

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pogaf For This Useful Post:

Sachi Whitsett (05-21-2015),Spyral (06-03-2015)