Thread: Best Beginner Tarantulas?

Thanks

Default Best Beginner Tarantulas?

Just wanted to post what I feel are the best tarantulas for beginner hobbyist.

Other Tarantulas that come highly recommended for beginners are as follows:

Name:  Eupalaestrus Campestratus3.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  18.1 KB

1.) Eupalaestrus Campestratus also known as Pink Zebra Beauty come highly recommended because of their docile temperaments. Not quick to "flick hairs".

Name:  MexicanRedKnee2.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  92.8 KB

2.) Mexican Red Knee Tarantula. These spiders are colored in a bright reddish color and females have lifespans of up to 30 years! One trade off is however, these tarantulas are quick to "flick hairs".

Name:  Brachypelma Albopilosum2.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  90.4 KB

3.) Brachypelma Albopilosum also known as Honduran Curly Hair (ALTHOUGH not as colorful as the other species mentioned, it is still worth checking out)

Name:  chromatopelma cyaneopubescens.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  86.2 KB

4.) Chromatopelma Cyaneopubescens also known as Greenbottle Blue. These tarantulas, originating from harsh conditions makes them a very hardy species and thus, ideal for beginners.

Name:  Aviculariaversicolor.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  84.5 KB

5.) The Avicularia versicolor also known as the Martinique pink toe or the Antilles tree spider is an ideal beginners tarantula because of its hardy nature. It is also beautiful and magnificent to watch. Fun Fact, Did you know that they turn from the beautiful blue between 3-4 years of age to a beautiful reddish color when they become adults.

For care tips like setting up the tarantula cage, the tarantula substrate, what do tarantulas eat and do tarantulas drink water, check out Tarantula Pets, it has a bunch of detailed information for a beginner hobbyist looking to get into the hobby like yourself!

Also check out these interesting tarantula facts that might come in handy.

Thanks

I would not start with the versicolor or the GBB. Avics take a little more work, and GBBS are a little faster than some other species which could throw a beginner off.

I would go with the red knee or the brachy. Both are very docile species.
    "I believe that education is all about being excited about something. Seeing passion and enthusiasm helps push an educational message."-Steve Irwin​

Thanks

E. campestratus and B. smithi are both on my want list lol. Along with Acanthoscurria geniculata. I love all three of those species so much, they're all so gorgeous.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 799 Posts

I'm a fan of Rosehairs. Not all have a great handleable temperament but mine has been quite docile and fun to watch.
    Specializing in Crested Geckos
    Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
    Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
    Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook

Thanks

I would say anything in the Aphonopelma family. I have Aphonopelma anax, A.hentzi and A. moderatum. One draw back is in my opinion there are slow growers. I got my 2 A. moderatums back in 2013. I have witnessed only one of the two molt since I have gotten them.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Texas T For This Useful Post:

leaveittoweaver (02-19-2015)