Thread: Sam a Year Later

Thanks

Default Sam a Year Later

Hi everyone, I haven't been around since my chahoua fell extremely ill nearly a year ago. I'm pleased to report he is alive and slowly coming back into health. In fact he's probably the healthiest he's ever been at the moment.

When I took him to the vet he was not eating (he ate nothing, not bugs, no prepared diet). He weighed 24g and was showing signs of calcium deficiency and muscle loss. You could feel his spine and he was unable to climb the sides of his tank because he was so weak. Nothing I did would make him eat.

It took months of force feeding every single night and giving him hundreds of doses of medicine but he is finally back on his feet. He now hunts crickets himself (something he never did) and is up to 44g as of this morning. He shows no sign of having had calcium deficiency and is able to climb the sides of his tank again (something he could not do for many months).

April (About 4 months after the peak of his crisis) (Also sorry he was about to shed in these photos)

Weighing 26g At this time

Jutting lower jaw

Tail kinks

Today (Dec. 31) Almost a year after the crisis

Jaw is 100% better

No kinks!

Can no longer see or feel his spine

44 grams!

Thanks for looking =) It's been a long year but seeing him looking so much better really makes all the money, time and sadness worth it.
    0.0.1 - Abel Gideon - Northern BTS
    1.0 - Timey Wimey - Crested Gecko
    1.0 - Sammy - Chahoua

Oliver has found a new forever home

Thanks

Wow, what a transformation! Thanks for keeping us updated. What a lucky chewie to have an owner as attentive as you!
    3.4.0 Correlophus ciliatus (crested geckos)

Thanks

Thanks Treebiscuit. I'm very happy with him. There was one day as I was leaving in the morning and I saw him on the ground of his tank, out in the open (he's a hider so this was very weird) and he was pale and barely moving. I pretty much said my goodbyes then, put a warm bottle of water in his tank (so he could get close to it if he wanted for comfort) and assumed he'd be dead by the time I got home that night. That was the worst day. But he pulled through and he's doing so well now.

However, I do feel like having gone through this crisis with him has helped me become, if anything, a more aware owner.
    0.0.1 - Abel Gideon - Northern BTS
    1.0 - Timey Wimey - Crested Gecko
    1.0 - Sammy - Chahoua

Oliver has found a new forever home

Thanks

what a stunner he has turned into.

Thanks

I am so glad your chewy is better! What a beautiful animal he is. It makes me happy to read such a great recovery story, especially with a small reptile - where most of the time it seems any serious disease will be fatal.

Do you actually know what was the cause of his health crisis? You mentioned medication, what was it for? I am a pretty new chewy owner, and so far so good, Urmel is very healthy and eats anything that does not hide quickly enough, but I want to be aware of potential issues. How old was your gecko when he fell ill?
    1.1.0 Crested Geckos "Jackson Pollock" and "Pumpkin Spice" 1.0.0 Chahoua "Urmel" 1.1 Red eared sliders "Freddy Krueger" (25 years) and "Mucki" (45 years) RIP Peppermint (Green Anole)