Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got this lil guy today

Thanks

Default Got this lil guy today

Picked this lil guy up at petco today, woman had just put up 75% off sign, got him for 15$. The worker said it was a crested gecko, until someone in the crested section of the forums informed me otherwise . Very mellow so far. Got him/her all set up, with Hidey hole, nice wide piece of white oak bark for him/ her to climb on. Misted down Coco fiber substrate, food and water dishes all set up. A nice heater that can keep it consistent 70-85 depending what it's set at. I have the sides covered with cardboard for now so my daughter does not see it, it's a Christmas present. She thinks the tanks filled with 30 new hissing cockroaches haha. Once he gets used to the new environment, may throw a cricket in there. Next thing I may get is fake tree with plenty of leaves for him to lick misted water off. Researched much as I could find. If I'm missing anything let fly.

Also I know in the past I've had reptiles that can get stressed from moving from one environment to a new one, is there a certain amount of time I should let him get used to his new digs before I handle him much. I don't know if they stress like some others can.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks

Definitely a gargoyle gecko, not a crested! And for $15, nice! I'd turn the temp down a couple degrees personally, 85 is a bit high. Definitely fill that tank with foliage, they love to hide!
    1.0.0 R. auriculatus - Quinn
    1.0.0 C. ciliatus - Good Hank
    1.0.0 Mutt - Waldo
    1.2.0 Cats - Oliver, Dharia and Chloe
    iherp.com/sarahberry

3. The Following User Says Thank You to sarahberry For This Useful Post:

Husker (12-24-2014)

Thanks

Yea have it set for 70 Atm, set up a moist hide, and dry hide, on floor. Got some fake leaves that cover the bark.He is on in the pic, and some for ground cover. loves to hide under those, and use the moist hide. Opted for carpet Instead of the brick coco fiber, was a pain to Keep it moist enough to keep it packed down, his lil feet sunk in to much for my liking, and he was constantly licking his nose and eyes to keep them clean of the fiber. So far so good seen him drink, eat, and he's pooping, so I'm happy.

Thanks

You are so lucky to find a gargoyle gecko for $15. Normally gargoyle geckos cost even more then crested geckos.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ExoticDreams For This Useful Post:

Husker (12-24-2014)

Thanks

carpet gets real nasty over time and their toes can get stuck in it. if you don't like the fiber, go with paper towel. He'll be greateful for more branches too .

also, i wouldn't handle him for a few weeks. 2 weeks is usually the minimum to let a gecko settle in.
    Check out my website for helpful info about Crested Geckos, Gargoyle Geckos, Abronia Alligator Lizards, and Brazilian Rainbow Boas
    Sovereign Reptiles

0.1.0 Gargoyle Gecko || Honey Bear
    1.1.1 Crested Gecko || Malakai, Snapshot, Tiny

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mechanical8Dragon For This Useful Post:

Husker (12-24-2014)

Thanks

I have two sets of carpet to switch out for cleaning, it's tight weave is all I can think to call it, very smooth, and soft. No loops that a toe would get caught in, but i will keep an eye out for that. We have handled him 5-10 min at a time 5-7 times over the past few days. I could not find anything on settling in time, and no one said anything on my question about if they stress when moved to a new environment, but I will let him relax for the next couple weeks now. Thank you all for the comments

Thanks

So, did he relax and got used to new environment? Is he healthy and happier than it petco? And was your daughter happy? In general: how is the little guy?

Thanks

Yes he's pretty chill now, jumps much less, I moved him into a 20 gal tank. Can see pics here

http://www.pangeareptile.com/forums/...?86422-To-much

No one really gave me any opinion on that thread, but it does not seem to be to much for him, plenty of places to hide in the branches , and the Hidey holes I have for him. Soak down the leaves every morn, givesd plenty of time for it to fully dry thru the day, then a small spritz at night Still have yet to see him eat, I'm hoping he eats at night his weight is holding I weigh him every day holding between 16-18 grams. I also have him lick food off my finger so I know for sure he's getting food, and give him a pea sized bit of this paste supplement the lady at petco talked us into every few days. He uses the leaves to hide in 90% of the time now that I have the leaves where before he used the lil Hidey caves. Daughter loves him. Still getting her in a routin of spraying down, checking his food isn't dried out, and replace food every other day. She named him nosedive, because he jumped a lot from person to person when we first started handling him.

Thanks

I'm curious what this paste supplement is? As a general rule I try not to get anything recommended by a pet store employee.
    1.0.0 Mutt - Waldo
    iherp.com/sarahberry

Thanks

Oh I just commented on the tank pictures too- it's perfect!
    1.0.0 Mutt - Waldo
    iherp.com/sarahberry