Thread: Why is my gargoyle gecko so fasinated by my leopard geckos?

Thanks

Question Why is my gargoyle gecko so fasinated by my leopard geckos?

I have no idea why, but my gargoyle gecko seems utterly fasinated by my leos, she sits in her tank and just watches them so intensely. Is it because she doesn't understand why they are on the ground or is there another reason for this behavior? Ever since I noticed her watching them I've always wondered what makes her so interested in them she does it every night just as her lights go out.

(her tank is at the same height as my girl group of 5 leos, she's not housed with them before anyone asks)

Thanks

Who knows what she is thinking. She might think they could be prey. She might be wondering whether they would be enemies. Maybe she recognizes them as fellow geckos and wants to check them out out of pure curiosity. Or maybe it's something else.
    3.4.0 Correlophus ciliatus (crested geckos)

Thanks

Yeah I often wonder what goes through her head when she watches them. :-P

Thanks

Are you sure she's watching the leos? My gargs position themselves somewhere and stare into space. I don't think it would matter or change their behavior at all whether there was a leopard gecko in front of them or not. On the other hand, I've seen some gargs (not mine, unfortunately) display some fairly intelligent behavior.

Aliza

Thanks

She might think it is food. My geckos stare at each other's crickets I put in their tanks.
    Follower of Jesus

Thanks

My garg definitely watches my leo if he happens to be in the corner of his tank that is visible to her's. It's pretty funny.
    1.0 Leopard gecko - Leto
    0.1 Gargoyle gecko - Gilligan
    1.0 Crested gecko - Dr. Jacobson

Thanks

Well, thinking about this some more, my geckos like to watch my fish, and it appears to be a benign interest in other things that are alive and moving. I don't get the impression that they feel threatened by the fish, even though the fish are around the same size as the geckos and sometimes make sudden movements -- but, of course, the fish stay in their tank and don't come into the geckos' territories. When I have the geckos out so that they can look right into the tank or climb on it, they often try to smell the fish. They don't seem to be interested in trying to get into the tank, though.

So who knows. The leos could be interesting just for pure entertainment value.
    3.4.0 Correlophus ciliatus (crested geckos)

Thanks

My crestie is fascinated by cats. He watches them quite intently for hours on end. The cats are equally amused.