Thread: Help from chahoua owners?

Thanks

Question Help from chahoua owners?

Hi guys! First off, it's been a looong time since I've been around here (I can bet approximately nobody remembers me!) because of various stuff going on. Anyway, I recently decided to get back into keeping rhacs (or whatever you call them now after that taxonomy change) and I'm fairly interested in buying my first chahoua.

I've found a couple of P.I. chahoua for sale; the one I wanted most is a brilliant little juvie for a reasonable price, but its weight seems awfully low. It's around 5-6 months and only 5g? Is this normal?

There's not much information on the 'net about chewie growth rates, so I'd really appreciate it if anyone could give me some advice.

Thanks!

Thanks

I really can't recall what mines weight was when I received her. But this is my opinion it does seem a little small to me. I could be wrong, but that's little.
    Crested geckos 4:5:15
    Chewie. 0:1:1

http://www.facebook.com/cjgeckos

Thanks

My first thought is this: If the person does not feed insects and has kept it in cooler temperatures, the growth rate will be slowed down a bit. It could be a perfectly healthy baby that's just developing a little slower.

Could there be health issues? It's possible. At 5 months my guys are much larger than 5 grams. Some of mine even hit 5 grams after a month of age. (But they usually hatched out as very large babies.)

Ask the breeder some questions about their diet and how they are kept before you purchase and all should be well.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ET Geckos For This Useful Post:

crgecko (12-05-2014)

Thanks

Just my two cents. The last time I bought a chewie that *seemed* underweight it ended up costing me hundreds in vet bills (more then the actual reptile cost me) and nearly a year of grief: hand feeding every night for anywhere from one hours to three, constantly worrying, stress...

Can you ask for some photos of his poops and a video of him eating with a time stamp (make sure he's eating bugs and a prepared diet, would be my recommendation)? If he's eating good and the poops are the right size and look healthy then it's probably what ET said. But having learned the hard way I'll never buy another reptile again without first having evidence that it's eating on it's own and pooping right.
    0.0.1 - Abel Gideon - Northern BTS
    1.0 - Timey Wimey - Crested Gecko
    1.0 - Sammy - Chahoua

Oliver has found a new forever home

Thanks

Thanks for the replies, guys. It turned out the 5g juvie was actually having some issues so the breeder decided to hold it back, and I've since bought a different P.I. chahoua which is a little younger but seems much healthier as far as weight goes. I've only had it a couple of days but it seems to be feeding well on CGD, and I'll start offering it bugs in the next few weeks. Hopefully I'll be able to post some pictures of it when it's more settled.

Oh, and MadSebby, I'm glad that Sam's got better for you. I had to deal with similar situation with my crested and those were tough times. She'd been fed a bad diet at the store, not out of malice but the fact that complete diets and better information weren't widely distributed at the time. Unfortunately - and I can only blame myself - I continued with this diet until the inevitable happened. Luckily she got over her calcium deficiency but it took a long time (and a lot of hand feeding too) to get her switched over to CGD. She's fine nowadays and is healthier than ever but I don't think I'll ever forgive myself. All I know is that I'm going to try my best to not mess up this time around.

Thanks

Don't forget to share photos of your new baby with us I for one love seeing peoples geckos. And i'm sure it will go good this time. It's all a learning curve and when the information and supplies are not available to a new owner that's not even giving you a fair chance to get it right. I'm glad your crested recovered as well. I've found my bond with Sam is stronger now (he probably doesn't care on his end) having seen him through the tough times. I got all the 'hands on' I ever wanted with him, so now I feel far more content to respect his personality (the 'bite your fingers off' type) and just let him be a happy display animal.
    0.0.1 - Abel Gideon - Northern BTS
    1.0 - Timey Wimey - Crested Gecko
    1.0 - Sammy - Chahoua

Oliver has found a new forever home