Thread: Dropped tail

Thanks

Unhappy Dropped tail

My female chahoua dropped her tail last night. She's in a planted tank and she got out--I don't know how long she was out but when I found her she was just laying there in the middle of the floor with my cats staring at her She lost the tail to the base, I have to give her a bath later because there is some lint stuck in the wound but right now she seems in shock or something. I just hope that she's going to be alright other than the tail. I'm mad at the cats because I'm pretty sure they were messing with her for a long time, but I know it's not their fault they were just being cats..

Ugh, I feel so bad, I fitted the tank with some metal mesh so that it could get more airflow-this was over a month ago! She got out like 3 days ago but I found her right away and reinforced the mesh, apparently she was really determined to get out. I've now removed the mesh and restored the original plastic cover so she can't escape again.

I've read some stuff about regrowth of tails and the information is kind of all over the place, I hope she regrows something so she can get around easier, I know if it does grow back it will never be as pretty as her original... which makes me sad.

At least she's alive, I just hope it stays that way and she doesn't have any injuries that I can't see, I still have some research to do about how to help her recover.

Also I have not found the tail....
    2.0.0 Cats (rescued: domestic med hair, and ragdoll--Podraig, Otemma)
    0.2.0 Rhacodactylus leachianus henkeli (High white Pine Island and Pine Island (x Bayonnaise) )
    1.0.0 Rhacodactylus leachianus leachianus (GTA x Mt Khogis)
    0.2.0 Correlophus ciliatus (yellow flame, halloween harley, Eggs, Bacon)
    1.1.0 Mniarogecko chahoua (Pine Island)

Thanks

Found the tail, cats were carting it around the house and left it in the kitchen. Also noticed that her nose has a small tear, probably from pushing through the mesh. She also is much less sure on her feet, she seems to have some awareness/instinct about her appendage loss.
    0.2.0 Rhacodactylus leachianus henkeli (High white Pine Island and Pine Island (x Bayonnaise) )

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 799 Posts

Hopefully she doesn't have any neurological problems from fighting with the cats.

The tail should regrow in the next few months, but it may be shorter than the original and look different like you mentioned. She should learn to get around fine in the meantime as long as there's no lasting issue from the cat encounter. Good luck!
    Specializing in Crested Geckos
    Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
    Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
    Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook

Thanks

Thanks for the reply, yeah I'm going to let her be for the night, I might see if she's interested in some dubia because I want to get her nutrients to help regrow the tail and stay healthy. I'll update on her behavior at some point down the line.

She is a little more bitey than usual but also exhausted, I took these pics after giving her a sauna to get lint off her stump.

Name:  P1020693.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  91.0 KB
    Name:  P1020695.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  83.1 KB
    Name:  P1020698.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  84.6 KB
    Name:  P1020709.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  82.6 KB
    Name:  P1020712.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  87.9 KB

Thanks

I'm sorry you had to stress over the escape! I hope all is okay with your chahoua.

On a side-note: I seem to recall some information stating that only mainland chahoua grow back their tails, while P.I. lose their tails forever. I do not remember where I read this, but just prepare yourself that it may not grow back if this information is true.

Thanks

I had to take her to the vet for swollen toes (post in Health and Breeding), it was crazy, they're still a bit swollen, I'm giving her antibiotics and pain meds from the vet. I'm not sure if its going to completely go away, but she does seem more alert.. I'm hoping she'll be alright, if she doesn't get the tail back we'll deal she's still super cute.. I have read varying posts about growing back the tail, some people say they'll grow back, some people say they won't, some people say "if this, then yes" "if that, then no"

As long as she pulls through I'll keep you guys updated on her tail status

Thanks

Me and my SO just decided that we think her foot might have been burnt on one of our baseboard heaters, she shed today the bottom of her pads look red and they're wet like they were blisters or something

Thanks