Thread: Opinion on tank layout

Thanks

Default Opinion on tank layout

Hey all. I hope this is the right category to post this in. Currently in the process of putting together an 18" cube for a crestie. This is kind of a side project as my life is a little hectic right now.. so this thing has been in the makings for quite a while, lol. Anyways, just got a new piece of ghostwood in and I'm having trouble figuring out the best placement for it so it flows well with the tank and doesn't obstruct the view too much from the whole layout. I will obviously be planting it more down the road before putting a crestie in it, but just working one step at a time right now. I included photos of the best ways I personally liked.. but I'm open to splitting the piece into smaller pieces if it's too large or would look better a different way. Also open to suggestions of what plants would go well in the tank as I've never done the live vivarium thing before. The space in the top left corner is about 7" from substrate to screen top, to give you an estimate for plant size.

Thanks for browsing!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Thanks

I like the look of the first one, but I think a crestie would prefer the shape of the second one. Although, in my terrarium, I have one similar to the first one, felt like there wasn't enough height, and added vines. He hates the vines, and spends all his time on the wood. So, what do I know?

Also, your moss collection is fabulous, and I'm supremely jealous.

Thanks

You know that was my thought too between these two. The first one does come out a bit more than the picture makes it look, about halfway up the tank. But yea, I think it's more aesthetics vs function. We'll see. I'll be adding plants too so maybe that will give him/her enough climbing equipment. I'll have things like a feeding ledge on the side as well. And would you believe I collected all that moss out on hiking trails; frugality at its finest, haha. Most of it seems to have done well, there's one type that has browned a bit since placing it in there, I don't know enough about moss to figure out if it's dieing or just a winter thing since temps are cooler now. But anyways, thanks for the input!!

Thanks

Locally collected moss probably won't do to well, since it comes from a temperate climate, it's going to need a winter period with quite cold temperatures. You may find most of it dies off over the winter.

Thanks

Well that's a bit of a bummer, lol. Oh well, I'll just wait and see what survives and go from there. As I mentioned before, not in any hurry to get this gecko-ready any time soon. Thanks for the heads up!

Thanks

Name:  Viv.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  77.8 KB

Hey all, just wanted to update how the tank is coming along. Had a major planting spree a couple days ago after a trip to the local plant shop, hopefully everything adjusts well. I know more cover/hiding areas will develop as plants grow in, but as is do you think there's enough for a gecko to feel comfortable? Constructive criticism welcome Also, how long should I wait for plants to establish before introducing a gecko to the tank?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jajabinx89 For This Useful Post:

Linder Peacock (09-28-2015)

Thanks

Late reply to old post. looks really great. I added my gecko right away - as long as the plants are anchored by some rocks or packed base, the gecko shouldn't hurt them, or himself. Do you have a recent photo? How did your mosses do over the winter?

Thanks

Beautiful!

Thanks

It looks amazing! makes me wish I would've gotten a larger tank.