Thread: Have you been bitten by your Chahoua?

Thanks

Default Have you been bitten by your Chahoua?

Just wondering if you have ever been bitten by your Chahoua? My 16 month old male (had him for about 2 months) lunged at me the other night when I put my hand in the enclosure.

Does it hurt when bitten by a Chahoua? Do they draw blood?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Pugwinkle For This Useful Post:

crgecko (11-11-2014)

Thanks

I've been biten. Didn't draw blood just a bit an let go. I usually get it when it's bug tine, like she really likes bugs an wants them. I was mostly surprised it even happen to me. There weren't any marks at all.
    Crested geckos 4:5:15
    Chewie. 0:1:1

http://www.facebook.com/cjgeckos

4. The Following User Says Thank You to crgecko For This Useful Post:

Pugwinkle (11-12-2014)

Thanks

Thats very strange you should ask that, I was bitten yesterday by my male and it bleed. Really surprised me. I was just moving him into a nice new setup and he tried to get away. Did not want to let go, because he can really can move fast when he wants too. He turned round and bit my finger. Did not think they had teeth.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Percy- pigeon For This Useful Post:

crgecko (11-11-2014),Pugwinkle (11-12-2014)

Thanks

I have had my male go though a really awful attack gecko phase. I had to wear gloves and use tongs just to switch out his food bowl. Thankfully he got over it. Once I picked up one of my girls and she hissed and bit me but that was more of just hitting me with her teeth to say no than latch on and draw blood.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Vienna For This Useful Post:

Pugwinkle (11-13-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Vienna View Post
    I have had my male go though a really awful attack gecko phase. I had to wear gloves and use tongs just to switch out his food bowl. Thankfully he got over it. Once I picked up one of my girls and she hissed and bit me but that was more of just hitting me with her teeth to say no than latch on and draw blood.
    How long did it take for him to grow out of it? Was time of year was it when he started this attack phase?

Thanks

I have been bitten by chahoua a number of times now, some for different reasons than others. Depending on why they bite you, it can hurt and draw blood.

An adult female guarding her eggs can be NASTY thing. I have a 90 gram female that is an insanely protective mother. First she'll chirp when you get your hand near her, then it's a full blown attack to get you away from her eggs. I wear thick mechanic gloves when dealing with egg removal for this reason. She will latch on and tear her head back and forth. If I didn't have gloves on, I'm sure it would hurt and draw blood. Some of my females are not as bad as this one (Rancor simply chirps her disapproval as I go for her eggs). But beware, females guarding eggs can be very nasty.

I also have a pair of rather naughty chahoua that are very sweet to each other, but as soon as I reach in there they will lunge at my hand and bite me. They are quite territorial in their cage, and I don't see that changing. I have to be quick and make sure they are not near me in the enclosure when I go to change out water and food. My boyfriend did get bit by this female of the pair and it drew a bit of blood like a small scrape. He said it didn't hurt too bad though.

Most of my other chahoua are pretty good. Some will startle if they are sleeping and you go to grab them. That sometimes results in a quick tag but nothing painful or blood-drawing.

Hope this helps!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ET Geckos For This Useful Post:

Pugwinkle (11-15-2014)