Thread: bearded dragon in hibernation?

Thanks

Default bearded dragon in hibernation?

I just got a bearded dragon not too long ago...but for some reason it seems to be a lot less animated and sleeping a lot these past few days. I didn't change the diet at all, so i've ruled that out (unless the crickets/veggies i got were contaminated and making them sick). Did a little research here and found out that these reptiles actually go into hibernation (called brummation) even though they're in captivity and don't actually need to.

The problem is, how do i know my dragon is actually in hibernation and not sick or have some kind of disease? Also, isn't less than a year old a little too young for a reptile to hibernate? please help, thanks!

Thanks

I'm not a beardie expert, but my 3 year old seems to be starting brumation. It does seem odd for a dragon that's less than a year old to do that; usually they are eating like crazy the first year. It may be good to check on some bearded dragon forums, or to do a "just in case" vet visit.

Aliza

Thanks

The best place to ask questions about bearded dragons is on this forum: https://www.beardeddragon.org/forums...55696223e32eae

They are really helpful, and the people there will be able to tell you if the problem is related to temperatures, diet, or brumation.
    Boston Terrier 1.0, Stetson R.I.P. 8/15/2015.
    Rough Collie (rescued) 1.0, Teddy
    Crested Geckos 9.11.12
    Pine Isle Chahoua 1.0.1 Hunter, Cami
    Leopard Geckos 1.2 Confetti, Snowdrop, & Beauty
    Bearded Dragon 1.0 Jayden

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Gotagecko For This Useful Post:

Creepella (11-10-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gotagecko View Post
    The best place to ask questions about bearded dragons is on this forum: https://www.beardeddragon.org/forums...55696223e32eae

They are really helpful, and the people there will be able to tell you if the problem is related to temperatures, diet, or brumation.
    Thanks!

Thanks

It could be that the conditions where you got it from weren't sufficient enough to prevent a bit of brumation coming on and you're seeing the effects of that now its settled in a bit. I'd keep a careful eye on it but as long as it's hydrated and eating/pooping well I wouldn't worry overly much.
    1.3.0 Crested geckos ~ Kalros, Kalahira, Nylea, Mythal.
    1.4.0 Axolotls ~ Pippin, Amphora, Noodle, Koola, Gomez.
    0.0.1 Leachie baby on the way.