Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Turkistan Roaches

Thanks

Default Turkistan Roaches

How many nymphs per egg sack on average? I've seen numbers from 12 to 30.
    How often does one lay an egg sack? I've seen every 3 weeks.

I ordered 4,000 without thinking it all through I'm afraid.

I'm getting a little scared looking at the numbers I come up with.

500 females with 12 nymphs per egg sack every 3 weeks gives me 6,000 nymphs a month. Leaves me with 1,500 a week, which is 214 a day to feed off.

Of course I only have 1 bd a year old and adult crested gecko so this colony will be growing.

While I was looking this stuff up, I saw on another forum someone saying that Turkistan roaches are too small for adult beardies. Does anyone here think that? People feed crickets to adult beardies and they're the same size. Just wondering how they could be too small.

Would they be too small to be considered as a main part of an ackie diet, at least until I get bigger ones going stronger like my hissers?

Hopefully if my colony does start growing like that or faster I can sell out some and buy some more discoids or one of the other larger species.

Thanks

I'm confused... are Turks B. lateralis or "lobsters" ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AneesasMuse View Post
    I'm confused... are Turks B. lateralis or "lobsters" ?
    Lobster Roaches - Nauphoeta cinerea
    Turkistan Roaches - Blatta lateralis

789 - I haven't kept lateralis myself, so hopefully someone else can answer your questions better ... but maybe you could try lowering the temperature slightly to slow their reproduction rate enough so that you're not up to your knees in roaches

Thanks

I prefer the "getting new lizards to help eat them off" method myself. This colony would probably feed a clutch of beardie babies before too long.

Thanks

4000 Roaches arrived. At least 2 males and several females in there. They were moving around so fast I couldn't tell what had already been counted, but I saw two males at once so know I have that many at least.

Thanks

I have a very healthy colony on laterials. they love the heat and make sure you have some sort of moisture in there all the time because they need it.
    Other than that they are very prolific
    ~Christa~
    Avalon Reptiles

" If all the beasts were gone man would die from loneliness of spirit... for whatever happens to the beast, happens to the man" -Chief Seattle-

Thanks

I use potatoes and greens for moisture food. Do you mist them? People say too do that, but then had someone tell me they don't and they're fine. I never misted my other colony and they did fine till they weren't fed for a month while I was out of state.

Thanks

4000 Roaches packed up

4000 Roaches unpacked

Thanks

Adult lateralis are fine for bearded dragons. Unless you keep them very warm, don't expect to come up with those figures. As far as misting goes, be sure to keep water droplets off the side of the bin. I have seen roach nymphs climb water droplets so it's an escape risk.
    -Harold
    CC Herps http://www.ccherps.com

Coming soon...

www.versatilevivariums.com

Thanks

Do you need to mist them? I never misted my last colony and they seemed to do fine. Only died when I went out of town and they didn't get fed. Only the adults died out.

I keep all the roaches in totes in this box.

I have a heater in there set to keep it between 90 and 95F. I was thinking of putting a container of water by the heater to increase humidity for the whole enclosure. What do you think about that idea?