Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cherry Head Tortoise

Thanks

Default Cherry Head Tortoise

Geochelone carbonaria or Geochelone chilensis? Anyone know which one? When I google, both are referred to as "red footed" tortoises. Actually, one of them has a "cherry head" to match the red feet... only the info is confusing and/or conflicting as to which latin name.

Anyone here know for sure which it is? Have experience with them? Know of someone else that does... that I can maybe contact and get further info from?

Thanks!

Thanks

The first one is the Cherry Headed Red Foot. The second one while related lives more like a desert tortoise.

Thanks

Thanks, Brian. I almost pm'd you cuz I knew you would know this.

Thanks

Default The little Cherry Head is HERE!!

The store finally released her to me today. She's set up in her rehab enclosure right now. She was exploring the last time I checked.

I found a breeder in TN a few days ago and he is helping me via email and phone, so keep us in your "good thoughts", prayers, etc. Getting her health stable, eating what she's supposed to be eating, and overall doing better is in our future... via some "tough love", if necessary. (She's been getting stinky ol' dead goldfish for some time now, so I have to convince her that greens and fruit taste better... could prove to be difficult, at best )

Btw, I named her Jubati and lovingly call her "Joob", for short.

Thanks

If she's eating meat make sure she's getting enough water.

You can try and see if red and yellow colored things get the interest.

When you think Red Foots think tropical South America, both forest and scrub grassland.

Red Foots are oppurtunists in a way. There's a fair amount of research on the diet I beleive.

Thanks

Thanks, Brian. I've been reading quite a bit online. One of the sites that seems reliable is tortoise.org or something like that. It mentions that they eat different carrion, etc. and so, yes, they are "oppurtunistic".... but, she hasn't been given the "oppurtunity" to have a balanced diet with her poor health and husbandry recently. It shows in her growth pattern on her carapace... pyramiding is very evident. Her "belly button" still shows and she's 4.5" already... most likely due to the high protein diet causing her to grow too fast for her age (like steroids, almost).

My goal is to get her environment up to the correct levels and see if it will mend some of the damage that's been done... or at least, get her on a right track.

I have a 9" dia. x 2" depth dish (plant saucer) in her enclosure, so she can drink or dip. She has been in her hide for most of her time here... I'm still trying to acclimate her to a 90F/85% humidity in there, with a gradient of 5-10 degrees lower on the other end. She was in 78F/50% humidity until yesterday afternoon.

I have a "hunch" that her eating problems are partially due to the low humidity having some effect on her olfactory tissue... decreasing her ability to really smell her food (veggies, fruits and so on) and create a feeding response of sorts. Do you know of anything like this happening? I mean, it would explain some of her preference for "really funky smellin' food" and not showing any interest in veggies and fruits (they don't have the same pungent odor). Like I said, it's a "hunch". I'll know in a few days, I guess.

Thanks again,
    Aminah

Thanks

Well protiens probably like sugar to humans. In the wild it's something they don't get very often so it's addicitve. It's like how i have a guy who only wants to eat red and yellow things.

Thanks

This makes perfect sense!

...runs off to buy "Rainbow Chard", reds and yellows.. that may work, too. I also ordered her a very RED blooming Hibiscus tree to munch on. Should be here in a couple days. (and I can replant it or relocate it outside once it warms up some)

I have various colors of fruits here, as well. The breeder guy that's helping me says it's okay to just let her be for a few days, so I'm just making sure I do spot cleaning and maintain her water dish with a fresh plate of greens and stuff.... nothing else for now.

Thanks, Brian
    "Be who you are, and say what you feel. Because those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

Thanks

I forget why, but I don't use chard and theres a reason.

For color you can try Raddicio (spelling?) It's expensive, bnut one of the few OK things shaped like a head. Dandilion flowers are also pretty good.

The easiest way to switch a torotise is to make a tossed salad they can't seperate and gradually decrease the "bad stuff".

Thanks

Maybe chard has the same "??? acid" that spinach and some others have... the one that binds the calcium. I haven't had espresso yet... brain not working properly. I know greens in the Brassica plant genus have been said to be goitrogenic.... maybe that's it? But I don't think chard falls into that genus. Hmmm.

Anyhow, I'll avoid it for now. I just thought of the yellow and red stems on the rainbow one. There are plenty of things to try with her.

None of my dandelions are flowering right now and I'd be afraid to just randomly pick some wherever I could find them. My garden is totally organic, so it's safe.

Thanks again...
    "Be who you are, and say what you feel. Because those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss