Thread: Urgent Help Please

Thanks

Default Urgent Help Please

I took a quick look at craigslist and saw this about a crested gecko.

http://austin.craigslist.org/pet/269041950.html

How is a crestie too hard to take care of? What would paralyze the back legs? My gargoyle had this happen and it died within hours :'( Best I could figure out was impaction. Would it be worth trying to get and save or would it be too late at this point? It's an hours drive over there but if I can save it I'll do what I can.

Thanks

She mentioned it was for her son. Kid lost interest I bet, she bought him a pet before he was ready and she doesn't want to do it. I would bet that the legs aren't totally paralized but are like my garg (I got him this way). His back legs don't work right due to a spinal fracture and bad case of floppy tail. He gets around, but not well. If you have time to rehab him and won't be crushed beyond recognition if he doesn't make it, I think you would be a good home for him. Brace yourself though, you can be sure the gecko is in worse shape than she is letting on. Be prepared for a good case of MBD, good chance of dehydration, and you will have to break the hand feeding cycle if he can in fact get around on his own. Let us know how it goes and good luck if you do decide to take him.
    Suzanne
    8.12.10 Crested Gecko
    0.2 Gargoyle Gecko
    1.0 Bearded Dragon
    1.1 cats
    1.1 dogs
    1.2 humans, subadults
    1.0 husband with 30+snakes

Thanks

If you read my other posts I'm already in bad shape, but I can't stand the thought of them keeping him till he dies or someone else that doesn't know anything get it. I'm not sure since it's so far away though.

Is there an emergency/rehab care sheet? I don't know how to get it hydrated since they won't take a bath, least my crestie and my garg wouldn't. How do you deal with MBD if they are nocturnal? I've got a 18in uv fluorescent bulb that I think is good if needed. My first reptile was a HL that didn't make it, way too emaciated. I was completely crushed, I loved the guy so much.

Thanks

I had assumed my buy was impacted but he could of fractured his spine. He never could stick to the glass even though I misted daily and kept a shallow bowl of water in there all the time. He'd climb up the vines and couldn't get down. He could of jumped into the glass and fell. Back legs wouldn't work and regurgitated when i tried feeding and pedialyte. After a few hours started convulsing and that was it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 789 View Post
    If you read my other posts I'm already in bad shape, but I can't stand the thought of them keeping him till he dies or someone else that doesn't know anything get it. I'm not sure since it's so far away though.
    Yeah, I remember talking with you that's why I mentioned the fact that you may not be able to save him.

Yours sounds more like impaction than fracture. Regurge is a good clue there. Can't go out so it goes up. I'm sure other things can cause those symptoms, but I doubt a fracture would.

Try a search for MBD (here on the forum). Bleeding Sarcasm had some very good info on treating MBD, in fact she posted some in my garg post in the health section very recently. My little garg is doing ok. If the crestie does have a fracture and that is basically all that's wrong, he should do ok. He will never be totally normal but ok. I have soaked my cresties, not for dehydration though. I put her in a small container with a lid (like you would ship in) and about an inch of water. I think I would just mist frequently and since he is used to hand feeding, try hand feeding water. Remember though, all this is speculation since you haven't seen the gecko yet.

See if she is willing to meet you somewhere so you don't have to drive the whole way.

Let us know what you do.
    Suzanne
    8.12.10 Crested Gecko
    0.2 Gargoyle Gecko
    1.0 Bearded Dragon
    1.1 cats
    1.1 dogs
    1.2 humans, subadults
    1.0 husband with 30+snakes

Thanks

I had called and there was no answer. I really think she should drop the adoption charge but make sure it goes to somebody knowledgeable, but that would be hard since she obviously isn't knowledgeable about it.

I will search and see what I can find and call again. It's already 530 and getting dark soon. See about getting it tomorrow if they still have it and all.

Thanks

She needs to forgo the adoption fee. Wish he was closer. Poor guy.
    A righteous man does not need a law, and an unrighteous man cannot keep one.

Thanks

yeah they do. I didn't get a response when I called last night and then it got too late and then this is sunday morning so I figure they'd be sleeping in or going to church.

Thanks

Somebody put a post up on craigslist about the crested

"I'm sure your gecko probably has Metabolic Bone Disease (MBD). MBD occurs due to insufficient calcium and source of vitamin D3 in the diet. Some signs of MBD are loss of muscle control (twitching), inability to move around without difficulties, paralysis, and lack of appetite.

To prevent this from occuring, all reptiles that are not noctornal must be kept under a UVB light. This is not a regular light, a heat lamp, or a full spectrum plant light. It must be purchased at a pet store. A good one is called reptiglo 8.0. This light replaces the natural sunlight your gecko is not getting from being indoors. It is essential because it helps your reptile process the calcium and vitamin D3. Which should also be fed to your pet as supplements.

Right now your gecko faces an immenent and horrifically painful death. If it is lucky, a vet can help reverse this condition or in a worse case scenario, put him out of his misery.

Good Luck! "

Thanks

Crested geckos do not need UVB/UVA lighting.
    A righteous man does not need a law, and an unrighteous man cannot keep one.