Thread: Auctions?

Thanks

Default Auctions?

So for a short period of time, I have been participating in some online auctions and gotten some great animals at below market prices...sometimes below reptiles show prices. Like many people, I think about how this influences buyers and how it ultimately effects the industry as a whole. It seems a common complaint among breeders in the last few years since big names like Bob Clark and BSR started frequent auctions, is that low ballers are on the rise. For example, I believe it was last year a very off breeder posted screenshots of several emails asking if he/she would take $150-$350 for animals listed at $500 and above! And in a few of those messages, I am pretty sure I saw a few inquiries that justified their offers by saying, "one went at an auction for..." . Obviously, no one is trying to fix the market, but where is the line between good deals and making sure fellow breeders/dealers can list fair prices?

What do you think?

Thanks

I agree. I also like the auctions but I think how the time over laps is the dumbest thing ever. When bidding if somthing hit the time limit it should be done not keep going until someone forgets to bid. Wtf is tht? That's not how a auction works. Whoever gets there bid in by the time the clocks over should win not this 7minuet delayed crap.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Baalke2 For This Useful Post:

Viridis85 (05-16-2014)

Thanks

Are you referring to the overtime style of auction? Though I've never participated in a gecko auction, I've been to a fair number of auctions for goods and furniture. While a significant number of items are sold off at prices far below retail value and even wholesale value, there are other items that generate somewhat of a bidding war. I think its fair to say that people will bid at the lowest level possible until the close and then bid according to market value. As the auction is online and available to different timezones, an overtime style gives some flexibility for those willing to top up their bids. The sellers are aware of the price points their goods can generate; the buyers know what they are willing to pay. The time limit allows some reflection on bidding. Personally, I have outbid others purely because of stubbornness and desire. Insight, restraint was a ship that had sailed two bids prior. It enables potential bidders to feel like they have given a fair chance at the gecko.

As far as lowballing geckos, the breeders will sell for what they feel the gecko is worth. Low-balling buyers citing auction pricing as a validation for their offer should be directed to auction sites.
    4.24.0 Crested Geckos
    0.2.0 Leopard Gecko

FB: Geckos by Design

5. The Following User Says Thank You to savannah blue For This Useful Post:

Viridis85 (05-16-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Baalke2 View Post
    I agree. I also like the auctions but I think how the time over laps is the dumbest thing ever. When bidding if somthing hit the time limit it should be done not keep going until someone forgets to bid. Wtf is tht? That's not how a auction works. Whoever gets there bid in by the time the clocks over should win not this 7minuet delayed crap.
    You mean overtime auctions like in BSR? Those aren't too bad, really it's to make sure no one sneaks in at 30 seconds before it's over. The extra five minutes protects you in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by savannah blue View Post
    Are you referring to the overtime style of auction? Though I've never participated in a gecko auction, I've been to a fair number of auctions for goods and furniture. While a significant number of items are sold off at prices far below retail value and even wholesale value, there are other items that generate somewhat of a bidding war. I think its fair to say that people will bid at the lowest level possible until the close and then bid according to market value. As the auction is online and available to different timezones, an overtime style gives some flexibility for those willing to top up their bids. The sellers are aware of the price points their goods can generate; the buyers know what they are willing to pay. The time limit allows some reflection on bidding. Personally, I have outbid others purely because of stubbornness and desire. Insight, restraint was a ship that had sailed two bids prior. It enables potential bidders to feel like they have given a fair chance at the gecko.

As far as lowballing geckos, the breeders will sell for what they feel the gecko is worth. Low-balling buyers citing auction pricing as a validation for their offer should be directed to auction sites.
    True, I have seen a few auctions that go over market value by as much as 25% just because of stubborn bidders, however with most animals selling for maybe 1/3 to 1/2 their worth it does not even out.

Thanks

Yes the overtime. For example two weeks ago I was about to win a very nice quad stripe baby for 125. The auction ended at 8 so I bid at 7.58 with no one else to bid until 8.05. It's just my opinion But I really dislike that. I don't think someone that forgets that it ends at 8 should be given a extra few minuets. To me it should be who ever puts the last bid before the time runs out should get it. Just like on ebay if I bid at 7.59 and the auction ends at 8 someone's doesn't get a extra 5-7 to bid after that. I think it defeats the whole purpose of a auction in that case put the auction till 9 instead of 8.