View Poll Results: Which Substrate Do You Use?

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • Paper towel

38 41.76%
  • Newspaper

1 1.10%
  • Reptile Carpet

5 5.49%
  • Other non-naturalistic substrate. (Specify)

3 3.30%
  • Coco-fiber

23 25.27%
  • Potting Soil

3 3.30%
  • Other naturalistic substrate. (Specify)

18 19.78%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Favorite Substrate

Thanks

Default Your Favorite Substrate

What do you prefer and why? Just curious to see different people's opinions.

Also, Naturalistic or Non-naturalistic? Let the debate begin.
    ~Sarah~
    www.CrestedLady.com

"This is your life, are you who you want to be?" -Switchfoot

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Crested Lady View Post
    What do you prefer and why? Just curious to see different people's opinions.

Also, Naturalistic or Non-naturalistic? Let the debate begin.
    Jumping in here...

My personal preference is coco fiber. It's attractive, natural-looking, helps maintain humidity extremely well, and works just as well as potting soil for growing plants in your enclosure.

As I mentioned in another thread, I don't worry overly-much about impaction because I feed crickets in a separate paper-towel substrate enclosure, which allows me to moniter how many crickets my geckos are eating, remove the risk of them ingesting substrate while they hunt, minimizes how quickly the crickets shed their calcium dust and cuts down on the possibility of stress to the gecko from crickets left to roam the tank for too long.

For their living enclosures, I simply feel that it gives my geckos as close to a natural habitat as they're going to get in captivity. It's personal preference, and it works for me, my geckos, and my peace of mind.
    Jess
    ~~~~~~
    3.3.8 - Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Hannibal, Bond, Epsilon | Abigail, Vesper, Sparrow | Kestral, Finch, Saosin and Neko, unnamed babies)
    0.1.0 - Felis domesticus (Poe)
    In loving memory of sweet Findabhair.

Thanks

I currently have two tanks going, One with paper towels the other with a natural substrat mix and i like the natural a million times better then paper towels.

The mix i use is peat moss, cocofiber, potting soil, and forest bed. It's great for my plants and it maintains the humitiy better. I keep it patted down and have never had one of my geckos end up with a mouth full. But what i like best is how easy it is to maintain. I have a pretty good bioactive thang going on so I just scoop out poop and stir the soil every so often.

With the paper towel, it seems to get nasty soo much faster and I have to take everthing out of the tank to clean it. bleh. I'm too lazy for all that. Once my new girls are done quarantine the paper towels are GONE!

This summer will be my first attempt at breeding, so I'll see if I still feel this way when it comes time to find eggs
    ~Marie~
    6.5.4 cresties
    2.2 cats (Simon, Monty, Otto, Oscar)
    0.1 dog (Molly)

"You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means" - Inigo

Thanks

I layer natural substrate: gravel, potting soil, coco fiber. I also feed crickets in a separate place like the Muse mentioned.

Thanks

Well my favoite substrate im not sure what the name is...But its like cage carpet but has brisles that look like very short fake grass...The poop and stuff doesnt get smashed into the substrate like cage carpet but sits on top on the bisles..With all the cages i have its the easiest to clean and comes in a nice green..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by maddog View Post
    I layer natural substrate: gravel, potting soil, coco fiber. I also feed crickets in a separate place like the Muse mentioned.
    What kind of gravel, if I may ask? I've considered layering and I'm trying to decide what to use.

Anyone have positive experiences with those clay balls for drainage?
    Jess
    ~~~~~~
    3.3.8 - Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Hannibal, Bond, Epsilon | Abigail, Vesper, Sparrow | Kestral, Finch, Saosin and Neko, unnamed babies)
    0.1.0 - Felis domesticus (Poe)
    In loving memory of sweet Findabhair.

Thanks

Right now, I just use Eco-Earth, which is working great. In the future, my adult tanks will be layered as so:
    (Bottom to top)
    River rocks (just from walmart...)
    Gravel (not tiny peices, and probably just from outside and cleaned)
    Smaller Gravel
    Mixture of coco fiber and eco-earth
    Pet grass in some areas (plus the plants I'll have in there along with it) and live moss in others

I plan on planting the plants with longer roots so that their roots are already in the layer of river rocks. The water from mistings and such will filter down to them. The rest just depending on length of roots and such. I also want to work something out (and if anyone knows how, I'm going to start a different thread if you could explain there) where small amount of water will be filtered from the river rock layer, go through to a misting system, and used again. Kind of like, artificial water cycle...lol!
    3.6.3 Crested Geckos
    0.0.1 Bearded dragon
    0.2.0 Marbled Crayfish
    0.0.1 Axolotl
    1.1.0 Cats (Lightbulb and Paperclip)

Kazzy's Kritters

My iHerp Page
    Middle TN Exotic Pets Club

Thanks

I have been using paper towel, but they have to be cleaned way more often if you also feed crickets.

Paper towels or those shelf liner things are the only options for babies, but I am going to try T-rex's "Jungle Bed," with drainage underneath, and collected and sterilized leaf litter on top. Possibly beach tree leaves

Thanks

I use paper towels. I did use the coco fiber untill I got up to 4 cages after that it just wasn't working for me. Paper towels allow me to make sure that I am doing a good clean up of the cage, I can see the fecal matter and thus keep an eye on health. I do not have the time to take all my geckos out let them eat and put them back when it is time to feed crickets.
    I do like to put large peices of cork bark in the bottom of the cage for a bit less of that hospital look paper towels can give a tank, it also helps keep the paper towels in place (The cork bark gets a good soaking in salt water every few weeks to clean it up). Also wondering if there is a trend in what people use in relation to how many cages they have.
    Dale
    "The dead are likely dull fellows, full of tedious complaints - 'the ground's too cold, my gravestone should be larger, why does HE get more worms than I do...'".

Thanks

I use papertowels in all my cages. I have too many to make them all pretty. I try to keep the "furniture" nice though. They have bamboo and cork and silk plants. The papertowels get nasty quick but it makes me think that all that same stuff is in the natural stuff, you just can't see it. I know it all breaks down in the soil though. I may try one with natural just to see, it would have to be juvies though. I'm not searching all 6 breeding tanks for eggs!! LOL I can't wait to hear how everyone sets there's up. I'm always looking for new ideas.
    Suzanne
    8.12.10 Crested Gecko
    0.2 Gargoyle Gecko
    1.0 Bearded Dragon
    1.1 cats
    1.1 dogs
    1.2 humans, subadults
    1.0 husband with 30+snakes