Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shed problem

Thanks

Sounds like you are covering all the bases. Dale said it, we soak ours in sterlite containers of warm water. Put in enough water so that the snake is about 1/2 submurged. Do this daily for several days. When you take it out of the water, gently rub him with a bath towel to help get the loose skin off. If this is not removing the skin, it's vet time. They can have skin infections that will make them look like they need to shed but never do. We lost a milk snake that way early in our herp days. If it is just bad shed, he should be ok by the next go around since you are keeping your humidity up in the tank. Best of luck with him. Post some pics of this skin thing if you can.
    Suzanne
    8.12.10 Crested Gecko
    0.2 Gargoyle Gecko
    1.0 Bearded Dragon
    1.1 cats
    1.1 dogs
    1.2 humans, subadults
    1.0 husband with 30+snakes

Thanks

Heres a trick that worked before my baby hognose got the hang of shedding. While the snake is soaking, try rubbing a mild or "natural" dishwashing liqid into the unshed skin. This will act as a lubricant and help the water enter the skin. Those commerical products like Shed Ease are pretty much the same thing. Sometimes a snake that is sick will have dificulty shedding, even if conditions are perfect. Best of luck, and I hope a vet visit isn't necassary.

Thanks

I have a big BP and she loves to stay in her "moist" box. I used a rubber maid container with a hole cut in the side and filled the bottom with the bed a beast. I have never had a shed problem after that.
    ~Christa~
    Avalon Reptiles

" If all the beasts were gone man would die from loneliness of spirit... for whatever happens to the beast, happens to the man" -Chief Seattle-

Thanks

well he shouldnt be sick.. eats perfectly once a week. I just went out and bought "snake Cave, Secure hiding cave" with moss. so if this doesnt help in this next week i'll take it to a vet