View Poll Results: Have you ever seen this problem before?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • all the time

0 0%
  • never

6 60.00%
  • some times

4 40.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please check this out

Thanks

Default Please check this out

One of my geeks (geckos) LOL has been comsuming a lot of subsrate, when ever i feed her she get the cricket plus scoops up some extra dirt, is this a consern. Altough she has recently stopped I am wondering if it has any long term or non emediate effect. Any replies would be greatly admired. Thanks in advance.

Reed

Thanks

I only put "never" since I only use paper towels (I had a problem with impaction years ago and stopped using naturalistic substrates). You said you're using dirt... but what type of dirt? Orchid bark, coconut bark, ???
    ~Sarah~
    www.CrestedLady.com

"This is your life, are you who you want to be?" -Switchfoot

Thanks

It is coconut husk that I am using. Do you think cresteds prefer dirt to paper towels or vice versa?

Thanks

As long as they have ample hiding places and fun things to climb on, the substrate really doesn't make that much of a difference.

I was using Bed-A-Beast (coconut fiber) when I lost a crestie to impaction. Haven't used anything but paper towels since and everyone is happy and healthy.
    ~Sarah~
    www.CrestedLady.com

"This is your life, are you who you want to be?" -Switchfoot

Thanks

Yeah, I was all going for the naturalistic set-up thinking it would be cool and all ... but have switched all my geckos to cage carpet... it looks like grass so it's kinda cool... and I had one gecko specifically that did exactly that, she would EAT the soil... others would get a mouthful sometimes and spit it out, but I'd see her eating it... and decided to avoid any possible problems that could arise.

You really don't need a naturalistic substrate... except that it looks nice... but cage carpet looks really cool too and is much neater.

Thanks

I voted never, but I also use paper towels. I don't want to take any chances.
    Jillie
    3.5.19 Crested Geckos (0.3.15 for sale)
    0.1.0 R.Brev (pygmy chams)

www.CelticHerps.com

Thanks

Thanks everybody for the suggjestions. I think I will change the sebstrate to paper towel at least for a while to see how it goes.

Thanks

I would think that maybe she is not getting the proper minerals in her diet. In the wild some animals will lick rocks for salt and minerals, eat there own poo, and sometimes actually eat dirt if their diet is lacking in nutrients. Lots of animals will do this, so I don't see why crested geckos would be any different. If they aren't getting what they need, they will go to any means necessary to acquire it. Maybe try putting a little extra calcium and supplements in her babyfood for a while. It couldn't hurt. That may not be the reason she is eating it, but I can't imagine it would taste to good so I don't see why she would eat it if she didn't feel she needed to.

Also, I agree with using the reptile carpet or just paper towels as a substrate. It is much safer. I have all my Cresteds in glass aquariums with a ceramic log, fake braches, and plastic leaves and it really doesn't look half bad with that as a substrate. Plus the paper towels make it very easy to find the geckos since it is such a contrast from them!

Good luck!
    - Nicole -

Please visit http://www.aamds.org/aplastic/ for more information on Aplastic Anemia

Thanks

It was always happening by accident like when she was hunting. She didnt even know how to spit it out and it look like it was hard for her to swallow

Thanks

Have I ever SEEN the problem, sometimes.Have I ever had the problem with my geckos, never
    -Chao0104-
    0.0.2 Rhacodactylus cilatus
    If life gives you oranges, make orange juice.If life gives you money, buy a crested gecko.