Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Its_joshdoe View Post
    It says the page isn't found.
    1.0.0 M. Chahoua {Tiamat}
    1.0 Fluffy Cardigan Welsh Corgi {Rigby}

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Duders View Post
    It says the page isn't found.
    Yeah. They took it down. Bummer. Save the link, they may put it back up when they get more in stock.
    ~Crested geckos | 0.0.2~ *aquariums*
    leopard geckos {cresties}

Thanks

Yes, the pfmc is a complete food. A lot of people that have had issues getting their chahoua to eat a fruit mix have had much better success with pangea's mix.

I would cut down handling to the absolute minimum necessary to care for him until you can get his eating stable. Make sure he has enough cork bark to feel secure. Plants are good too, but focus on cork rounds and flats. When you mix his food, try making a thin layer of the food in the dish so you can get a better idea of if he's eating any of it or not. Weighing him is another way to see if he's getting enough nutrition. Weight gain is the best, and maintaining weight is ok, but if he's losing weight getting him to a vet is essential if you can't eliminate the issue on your own. I'd stay away from mealworms and try to get him to eat crickets or dubia roaches. Get a glass or ceramic bowl with sides high enough that the bugs can't escape but wide enough that he can see them. For crickets, remove the back legs so they can't roam around the tank.
    Always check the Fauna BOI before you buy!
    :: iHerp :: Template Reptiles :: Canine Habits ::

Template Reptiles on Facebook

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rubberduckey273 View Post
    Yes, the pfmc is a complete food. A lot of people that have had issues getting their chahoua to eat a fruit mix have had much better success with pangea's mix.

I would cut down handling to the absolute minimum necessary to care for him until you can get his eating stable. Make sure he has enough cork bark to feel secure. Plants are good too, but focus on cork rounds and flats. When you mix his food, try making a thin layer of the food in the dish so you can get a better idea of if he's eating any of it or not. Weighing him is another way to see if he's getting enough nutrition. Weight gain is the best, and maintaining weight is ok, but if he's losing weight getting him to a vet is essential if you can't eliminate the issue on your own. I'd stay away from mealworms and try to get him to eat crickets or dubia roaches. Get a glass or ceramic bowl with sides high enough that the bugs can't escape but wide enough that he can see them. For crickets, remove the back legs so they can't roam around the tank.
    So don't take him out of his tank to feed? I have large ghostbranches in there from NEHerp, and a few plastic foliage.

I would really love to start feeding him dubia but I'm wondering how I would care for them if I don't plan to breed them. I only have the one gecko and I think keeping a whole colony of roaches would be a bit overkill. I hear they breed pretty quickly, I don't want to be overrun. :P I have phoenix worms for him right now, I've heard they're very nutritious.

Thanks

Definitely leave him alone to feed. Your main goal right now is to make sure you can get him eating regularly and on his own, and growing properly. One of the biggest mistakes I have seen people make over the years of reptile keeping (with any geckos, not just chahoua) is trying to handle them before they are established. Another is moving their enclosure around too much. You really want to make sure a reptile is eating regularly and growing properly before you worry getting them used to handling or upgrading their enclosure. The less variables in the mix, the easier it is to figure out what the issue is.

Make up a dish of food as I mentioned, and leave it in his tank overnight and through the next day. You can pull out the food dish the following evening and look for evidence of him having licked up the food. Make up a new batch if the dish is empty, looks too dry or is looking bad. Some geckos prefer fresh mrp, some like it to sit out for a while.

If you post a picture of his setup, I can give more pointers there.

Phoenix worms are good, if he's eating them. Dubias are great and really easy to care for, and you don't have to worry about breeding them if you don't want to. Don't bother buying adults. If you can buy a mix of small sizes, you can feed the largest to your gecko first and then let the smaller ones grow until they're the right size for him to eat. That way you pick them off before they get big enough to breed. You can just get a plastic shoebox, get some water crystals and a good bug chow (or bug burgers, my dubias love that stuff) and throw some fruits and veggies in now and then.
    Always check the Fauna BOI before you buy!
    :: iHerp :: Template Reptiles :: Canine Habits ::

Template Reptiles on Facebook

Thanks

With my cresties I found it helped if I had more than 1 food station in the tank (one on the the bottom in a secure spot where he can eat without being seen and feel safe and one closer to the middle or top near the branches so they can reach easily. Good luck with this.

Thanks

Also try different places.. Like one elevated feeding ledge and one food dish on the ground and stuff like that.
    Correlophus ciliatus x5 (Bella, mango, tiny, butterscotch and daisy, and yes daisy is a boy)

Mniargekko Chahoua x1 (Java chip)

Rhombodera stalli x5

Thanks

Sorry it's been so long. Hard to keep up with the internet in college and work.

Anyways, I've had no luck with the powdered diets. The only way I can get him to eat is to gutload his bugs and coat them with calcium and vitamins. He gets crickets or roaches, gutloaded and coated with calcium three days a week (monday, wednesday, friday) and during the rest of the week he gets worms (pheonix or waxworm, depending on availability at the local pet store). It seems like a lot, but he doesn't eat anything else.

I've considered making up the CGD or whatever other diet I have and coating the worms in it, just so that he gets SOMETHING. Do you think that would work for now?

I really don't know what else to do. I've heard chahouas don't eat much powdered diet when they're young and he's not yet 2 years old, so maybe that's the problem. I just want to make sure he gets everything he needs.

Thanks

I think coating the bugs in the powdered diet is a good idea. Might as well give it a try. You have nothing to lose doing it. Hopefully he will take to the powdered diet that way.