Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gecko won't eat...

Thanks

Default Gecko won't eat...

I'm at a loss. I've had my chahoua since February 2013 and he has never taken to the powdered diet. I've talked to several different reptile owners and breeders about what they feed their geckos and I've tried preparing my gecko's diet many different ways. Adding honey, adding juice, different types of pureed fruit, different flavors of powdered diet, different brands. His temperatures and humidity are good, I check everyday, more often than not several times a day. At best he's shown a fleeting interest and then shortly after won't eat it. However he has always loved his bugs. He would eat them forever if I'd let him. But now recently he won't even eat bugs. Not crickets, not worms, nothing. It's been 2 weeks. I'm very worried. I recently tried force feeding but he's stubborn and I don't want to hurt him.

I'm not sure what to do.
    1.0.0 M. Chahoua {Tiamat}
    1.0 Fluffy Cardigan Welsh Corgi {Rigby}

Thanks

Try different brands of diet.. And different types of bug. He might also eat from your finger if you have CGD on it..
    Correlophus ciliatus x5 (Bella, mango, tiny, butterscotch and daisy, and yes daisy is a boy)

Mniargekko Chahoua x1 (Java chip)

Rhombodera stalli x5

Thanks

Has he seen a vet? I'd at least get a fecal for him. What are the temperatures in his tank, what device are you using to check temperatures, and what size enclosure is he in?
    Always check the Fauna BOI before you buy!
    :: iHerp :: Template Reptiles :: Canine Habits ::

Template Reptiles on Facebook

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rubberduckey273 View Post
    Has he seen a vet? I'd at least get a fecal for him. What are the temperatures in his tank, what device are you using to check temperatures, and what size enclosure is he in?
    normally temps range low 80s during the day and low 70s at night, right now it's night and they are at approx. 71 or 72.
    I have just a simple temp and humidity analog gauge from zoo med. He is in a 18 X 18 X 24 exo terra, has been for several months, not quite a year.

I will try to get a poo sample, might need to force feed for that. Can't get poo if he's not eating

Thanks

If he's not full grown, you might consider moving him to a smaller enclosure for a while and see if that helps. Did you notice any changes when you moved him to the larger tank? How are you feeding insects?

Thanks

If he's not full grown, you might consider moving him to a smaller enclosure for a while and see if that helps. Did you notice any changes when you moved him to the larger tank? How are you feeding insects?
    when I first moved him it was the typical response, he didn't eat as much but it didn't last long. He did alright ('alright' is relative to him, it means i would find some food missing lol) for a few months, then we moved into our first house about five and a half months ago and I think that's around the time his already low interest in powder diet went down.
    I feed insects in a separate Kritter keeper, always have and it has never seemed to bother him, he ate bugs just fine like that.

I will move him back into his Kritter keeper and see how he acts.

I did notice last night he was shedding, does that put them off food at all during that time?

Thank you for all your help.

Thanks

I don't have Chahoua's, but my Cresteds will stop eating coming into shed. Are you weighing the gecko to see if weight is being lost? I have a lot more peace of mind being able to watch the weights of my geckos.

Rachodactylus Ciliatus

MUNKEY, PEACHES, MORROW, THIMBLE, KILI, GOLLUM, FALCOR, CHEECH & VALENTINE

Rachodactylus Auriculatus
    1.2.1 KEKO, ARRO, PEBBLES & FALCOR

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Duders View Post
    when I first moved him it was the typical response, he didn't eat as much but it didn't last long. He did alright ('alright' is relative to him, it means i would find some food missing lol) for a few months, then we moved into our first house about five and a half months ago and I think that's around the time his already low interest in powder diet went down.
    I feed insects in a separate Kritter keeper, always have and it has never seemed to bother him, he ate bugs just fine like that.

I will move him back into his Kritter keeper and see how he acts.

I did notice last night he was shedding, does that put them off food at all during that time?

Thank you for all your help.

Shedding can cause them to stop eating, but that shouldn't be more than a couple of days. I have a few geckos that wont eat if I'm picking them up and moving them to a separate tank, which I assume is stress related. I feed crickets with the long feeding tongs, and I feed dubias in small glass bowls. If you haven't already, order some of the Pangea Fruit mix. I believe Matt offers a guarantee too. My young chewies prefer bugs and usually only lick a little at most of the fruit mixes, but even the little ones like the pangea diet (watermelon is preferred by most of mine). The adults over 2 years old eat more of the diets than bugs.

How often do you handle him? And how often are you weighing him?

Thanks

~Crested geckos | 0.0.2~ *aquariums*
    leopard geckos {cresties}

Thanks

Shedding can cause them to stop eating, but that shouldn't be more than a couple of days. I have a few geckos that wont eat if I'm picking them up and moving them to a separate tank, which I assume is stress related. I feed crickets with the long feeding tongs, and I feed dubias in small glass bowls. If you haven't already, order some of the Pangea Fruit mix. I believe Matt offers a guarantee too. My young chewies prefer bugs and usually only lick a little at most of the fruit mixes, but even the little ones like the pangea diet (watermelon is preferred by most of mine). The adults over 2 years old eat more of the diets than bugs.

How often do you handle him? And how often are you weighing him?
    I handle him once a day, but only for a few minutes. Longer when I feed him. He's skittish. I don't weigh him often.
    Is the pangea a complete diet, like Rapashy?