Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My First Hatchling! Pics, and Some Questions...Does Faolán Look Normal? DUW

Thanks

Red face My First Hatchling! Pics, and Some Questions...Does Faolán Look Normal? DUW

Meet Faolán! He's my first hatchling ever, and hatched last night. He's 1.9grams, and has a super fat tail! He incubated for 116 days, and is the only hatchling to hatch after 9 clutches of eggs from my girl Gyllbane. I wouldnt have chosen to breed her myself, because she has a slight overbite, but I adopted her from someone locally who had her housed with a male. Anyways, what's done is done, and Faolán made it! No matter how he is, I love him no matter what, and will be keeping him because he is my first hatchling. Faolán is my 10th crestie. The name is Faolán is Gaelic, and means wolf. (Note: most of Gyll's other eggs were infertile, and three others appeared to be fertile but quit growing and died around day 60. I am incubating at 70-73 degrees on moist superhatch.)

Now to the things I see:

1.The first thing I noticed is that his head is really skinny, almost like an Anole. Will it widen out?

2.His head has a huge bump on the top, the whole top is curved. Once again, will it flatten out?

3.His bottom mouth piece appears to be wider than the top piece, and on one side it sticks out past the side of his top lip. His bottom lip also extends a lot farther than his top lip, but it does curve back in to meet the top one. Will it stay like that/is it normal for them to be like this right after they hatch?

4.Under his chin, there is a spot on his neck that pokes out on one side, into a point. He wont let me feel it, so I don't know is its soft or hard, but it does move along with the rest of his neck when He breathes. Any thoughts?

5.He hasn't shed yet, and I thought they were supposed to within the hours after they hatch. Is this a problem, or am I just being too worrisome?

Those are the questions I have. Please note that I love Faolán very much no matter how he is or what he looks like, and am only asking these questions with a hope of understanding what is going on with him better!

Here S/he is! Isnt Faolán beautiful? 6.Any predictions on future coloring? (The dad was a weird olive/tan/brown/darkish dingy(Like the pattern wasn't there fully, but kinda was. His patterning made him look almost dirty.) looking harlequin)

Name:  WP_20140331_017.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  94.0 KBName:  WP_20140331_058.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  95.1 KBName:  WP_20140331_055.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  95.7 KBName:  WP_20140331_051.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  95.7 KBName:  WP_20140331_041.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  108.6 KBName:  WP_20140331_040.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  110.9 KBName:  WP_20140331_035.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  98.0 KBName:  WP_20140331_031.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  93.7 KBName:  WP_20140331_024.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  97.8 KBName:  WP_20140331_063.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  100.8 KB

More pictures of him and some of Gyllbane in the next post!
    4.2.4.1.1 Crested Geckos: Lutta , Ghile , Namara , Nyne , Faolán 🌈 😇 , Kalyer , Butterworth Hatchlings: Rooster, Ducky, Sparrow

Thanks

Name:  WP_20140331_082.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  102.0 KBName:  WP_20140331_088.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  96.6 KB

Mama Gyllbane
    Name:  WP_20140331_089.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  98.4 KBName:  WP_20140331_094.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  98.3 KBName:  WP_20140331_098.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  94.8 KB
    4.2.4.1.1 Crested Geckos: Lutta , Ghile , Namara , Nyne , Faolán 🌈 😇 , Kalyer , Butterworth Hatchlings: Rooster, Ducky, Sparrow

Thanks

Congrats!

1. Doesn't look skinny to me, if anything he's a little chubby!

2. I've never noticed a hatchling with a large bump on the top of its head. I'm pretty sure that's abnormal, keep an eye on it as it grows.

3. That's not normal, it might even out as he grows, but a jaw that "different" isn't normally present.

4. This is what concerns me the most, this is almost positively an abnormalty. I would keep an eye on it as he grows.

5. It can take 1-2 days. If it takes longer, a sauna and some extra help will be needed.

This hatchling has many differences that might be harmful to him (the jaw probably won't affect him, but the bump on the head and the poke-out chin/throat might. Keep an eye on him, but just because he's different doesn't mean he can't be loved.
    Mary Frizzell
    Check out my Facebook page at "Good Luck Geckos"

4. The Following User Says Thank You to GoodLuckGeckos For This Useful Post:

Kris Anderson (03-31-2014)

Thanks

Not to much experience here but from what you've photographed, it looks like the little one's proportions are different from what typifies a normal hatchling. For instance, SVL seems longer than usual in comparison to the tail. He looks a bit bald; I agree that the head structure is narrower than usual. That pointy part under the chin looks more pronounced than usual, and the underbite is prominent. I'm not sure what this all means for your little one. It almost seems like your female was mated with something non- crestie? If that makes any sense? Maybe brother and sister? Co-sanguineous relationships can create anomalies. Hope this helps.
    4.24.0 Crested Geckos
    0.2.0 Leopard Gecko

FB: Geckos by Design

Thanks

I really don't know anything about hatchlings, but isn't 116 days a bit longer than average incubation period?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brenardo View Post
    I really don't know anything about hatchlings, but isn't 116 days a bit longer than average incubation period?
    It depends on your temps, but usually the longer incubation time the better.
    Mary Frizzell

Thanks

Thinking of what savannah blue said...is it possible that Faolán's father had some chahoua in him? It would explain some of his characteristics, maybe. Is that too far fetched?

Thanks

The more I look at pictures....Faolán DOES look a LOT like a chahoua...coincidence?

Sent from my RM-917_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

Thanks

That's a possibility, is there any way you could ask the person you got the mother from?
    Mary Frizzell

Thanks

Unfortunately, no. I bought Gyll from a guy when he was moving, and he wanted to sell me the male too, but I have so many males already so I said no. The phone I had the phone number of the guy on, and the pictures of the male on randomly died before I could get any information off of it. I have no way to know who, what, where, or how to contact the guy other than he was a student or friend or something of a herp guy with the last name of muggleston (no idea how to spell that), and I don't know if its the same j mugleston that everyone knows of or not. So its pretty much a dead end deal. :\

Sent from my RM-917_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk