Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Uroplatus Sikorae or Chewie?

Thanks

Default Uroplatus Sikorae or Chewie?

I'm looking into another type of gecko. Right now I only have cresteds, but I really like the U. Sikorae and chewies. Which one do you prefer and why? Pros and cons? I still have a lot of research to do, and I would research a ton before I actually buy one, I just want to know which one is your favorite of the two. Thanks in advance!
    Mary Frizzell
    Check out my Facebook page at "Good Luck Geckos"

Thanks

Two others I'm wondering about are satanic leaf tailed geckos and Eurydactylodes Agricolae.
    Mary Frizzell

Thanks

I prefer Chahoa to any Uroplatus.
    Uro's are fragile and picky compared to any Rhacadactylus, and the Satanics are incredibly even more especially sensitive.
    Chahouas are much more hearty, and have amazing personalities, plus they have aWESome full prehensile tails too!
    4.3.0 Rhacodactylus leachianus - Yatè, Mt. Koghis, Rivière Bleue, purple Nuu Ana, Poindimiè
    3.2.0 Rhacodactylus ciliatus
    1.1.0 Gekko gecko
    2.1.0 Python regius

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Metal_Gecko For This Useful Post:

GoodLuckGeckos (03-17-2014)

Thanks

Like said above ^^ Uros are very picky and fragile. Chahouas aren't very picky or fragile, and chahoua require similar care to crested geckos other than they prefer to have a cork hollow in their enclosure. Uros need lighting and you can't handle them. Chewies are just awesome over all
    Correlophus ciliatus x5 (Bella, mango, tiny, butterscotch and daisy, and yes daisy is a boy)

Mniargekko Chahoua x1 (Java chip)

Rhombodera stalli x5

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Extremecrestie For This Useful Post:

crgecko (03-17-2014),GoodLuckGeckos (03-17-2014)

Thanks

What do you think about E. Agricolae?
    Mary Frizzell

Thanks

I have two E.Agricolae that i absolutely adore, they get the same care as my cresties and leachies and they are thriving, both have doubled in size since october. I would recommend them over leaftails and they arent as picky about calcium as the chewies. these might be a great starting point for jumping into something other than cresties.
    Raxicorocofalipitorious

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MACHI_vallism For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I absolutely love Eurydactylodes, I find mine to be fantastic display animals, given how they try to imitate vines, you can always see them pretty well day or night hugging their finds, scooting around. They are also incredibly easy to care for, much more than uroplatus. It also doesn't hurt they are a fair bit cheaper than chewies
    Sean Mchugh

Currently breeding Gekko vittatus, Mniarogekko chahoua, Eurydactylodes agricolae, and Eurydactylodes vieillardi

11. The Following User Says Thank You to aragin08 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Never experienced Uroplatus, although I believe they're supposed to be very rewarding if you are able to meet their needs. Very cool looking reptiles, but not my personal taste.

I've handled and kept a number of gecko species; chahoua and agricolae are my favorites. I generally keep my reptiles for display and breeding project purposes, but I get a lot of enjoyment from actually handling my chahoua and my agri.

My chahoua have always been more prone to find a comfy spot and relax or fall asleep, and I prefer their slower steady movements to the random jumpiness of the cresteds. Their size is also really nice -- my oldest male is well over 60 grams now, and still looks like he could beef up more. Mine also tend to spend more time basking and hanging out rather than hiding, which will be great when I eventually get them in naturalistic terrariums. And I love the progression from hatchling to adult, with different colors developing at different times, and the overall growth that they go through.

I only have one agricolae at the moment, but she's hilarious. She acts like a big gecko in a little geckos body, never really showing fear and more than happy to crawl out on my hand if she thinks I have food. She probably eats more than any of my other geckos when comparing food intake to body size. And if I don't have food, she nips my fingers (it doesn't hurt). Not to mention, if you think they're cool looking in pictures, wait until you see them in person.

Plus side to both, once they're established as hatchlings they're pretty easy to take care of. Best tips I've heard from others that have worked for these: as similar as they are to cresteds, my chewies and agri do much better with a warm basking spot and tons of bugs in their diets, in addition to a MRP.
    Always check the Fauna BOI before you buy!
    :: iHerp :: Template Reptiles :: Canine Habits ::

Template Reptiles on Facebook

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rubberduckey273 For This Useful Post:

aragin08 (03-17-2014),GoodLuckGeckos (03-17-2014)

Thanks

Thanks! So now its down to Agricolae and chewies. Though I'll still be on the look out for U. Sikorae. It's oh so hard to choose. So from what I've heard, they both have the same care as cresties, but chewies like a cork hollow. What about tank size? Is that the same? I'm guessing the tank can be smaller for Agricolae because they get smaller than cresties do? (How big and how many grams do they get?)
    Mary Frizzell

Thanks

I don't have pros or cons, but I do love my chewie. He or she is very confident an always in the open. Very friendly an nice. Finally starting to show its color to. I can say it does love bugs very much.
    Crested geckos 4:5:15
    Chewie. 0:1:1

http://www.facebook.com/cjgeckos

16. The Following User Says Thank You to crgecko For This Useful Post: