Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: My new baby crestie hasn't found food bowl yet......HELP!

Thanks

Default My new baby crestie hasn't found food bowl yet......HELP!

So I got a baby crestie (my first one ever) two days ago. I have "her" in a exo terra 12x12x18 with lots of hanging plants, the ultimate gecko ledge with food and water bowls, 2 bamboo hides, a tree stump hide a floor plant and I'm waiting for another floor plant. "She" has lots of cover and places to hide, likes to hide in the hanging plants but has yet to find the food (repashy CGD). I know this is normal for babies but I'm stressing out. I currently have two food bowls, one up high in the gecko ledge and one closer to the ground. I know she isn't eating because she's not pooping, using paper towel for substrate! I don't know what to do, I don't really want to handle her because I want her to settle in first but I also don't want her to starve! Please help!

Thanks

Patience, if you recently got her then she is probably not fully acclimated yet. If you think she is fully accustomed (usually takes 1-2 weeks, but every animal is different, I have had new snakes go months before eating) and still having trouble finding the food, you can move her into a smaller cage for now or try hand feeding her in the cage. If you choose the latter, just put some CGD on your finger, open the cage, and offer it to her while she is on a branch or some other "open" area, avoid cornering her. Being recent though, I would choose to wait for now.

Thanks

ok thank you so much. it hasn't even been a full 48 hrs. yet but I'm like a worried mommy right now! I love my pets so much they are my babies, my life. I just want her to start eating so she can continue to grow and get all the nutrients she needs!

Thanks

how long would too long be for her to not find her food and be eating? just so i know.

Thanks

This is her set up. I am waiting on a good sized floor plant to give her more cover if shes on the ground or low to the ground.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crestie_mommy View Post
    how long would too long be for her to not find her food and be eating? just so i know.
    I would start hand feeding after 10-14 days, that's just my husbandry though, some wait longer, others may take action sooner.

Thanks

ok thanks, is her set up ok in your opinion?

Thanks

ok thanks, is her set up ok in your opinion?
    I would cover three sides with cardboard or paper to make it more secure. I would also add some horizontal climbing space too, you can just attach pvc pipe to end caps. If you want a more natural look with the pipe you can gas torch it and it will have a pretty cool pattern IMO.

Thanks

ok, i can either use some bigger bamboo hides for horizontal climbing or I can buy the horizontal branches with leaves that they have at the pet store. so I should tape some kind of paper to the outside to give "her" more privacy? does it matter what kind? can I just tape computer paper?

Thanks

ok, i can either use some bigger bamboo hides for horizontal climbing or I can buy the horizontal branches with leaves that they have at the pet store. so I should tape some kind of paper to the outside to give "her" more privacy? does it matter what kind? can I just tape computer paper?
    Any wood that is not pine or cedar is fine. Sure, printer paper is fine.