Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roach Containment

Thanks

Default Roach Containment

Another roach question.

I got another box like the one my beardies cage is made from. I turned it with opening side up and have a solid door over the top. I've got a heater in there to keep it in the 90's. Towards the top it was up near 100 degrees. Is that bad for any of my species (lateralis, hissers, discoids)?

Second is that I was using vasoline on my hisser roach container to keep them from climbing out. After having this container in the heat for a couple of hours I look in and notice that the vasoline is coming off the sides. There's a couple of chunks down at the bottom. What else can I use? I saw bug boundary for $10 for one ounce. Plus shipping.

Is there something else I could get locally by chance that works? Industrial grease like bearing grease maybe?

Thanks

I don't have any problems with mine escaping (the laterials and discoids) I just have them in a rubbermaid container with metal mesh on the top. I don't use any vasoline or bug boundary and no escapees
    ~Christa~
    Avalon Reptiles

" If all the beasts were gone man would die from loneliness of spirit... for whatever happens to the beast, happens to the man" -Chief Seattle-

Thanks

I put a couple of strips of smooth, clear packing tape around the top of my containers for my "non-climbers". If you have the really smooth surface tubs, that's not necessary. Most of the opaque tubs have a little bit of surface texture which these roaches can grip well enough to climb the sides (especially the nymphs). The clear packing tape is a slick surface that stops them completely. You might need to wipe it clean every now and then to make sure it stays clean and slick. Hissers are a different story. They are much better climbers and can climb those slick surfaces. Bug boundary is kind of expensive, but works very well. Vaseline is messy and needs to be replaced fairly regularly (especially in high temps as you've discovered), but also works well.

Gary

Thanks

Yeah it is only the hissers I am worried about. Long ago I discovered several throughout the house. Fortunately they were babies that I found. I'm hoping that means only the babies escaped. The lateralis I had found in the house had all been males and I think I'd left the egg cartons too close to the top and they fluttered out.

The vasoline isn't going to stand up to the 90 degree heat. What is bug boundary? I say one place that had it for 10 an ounce and then double d's roach place has bug boundary for 2 dollars an ounce and says that is is a commercial grease. I'm thinking that these are two different things.

Is 100 degrees too hot for any of these three species? I turned down the thermostat a little but want to make sure I shouldn't of killed them.

I have one container with a fair amount of lateralis nymphs, no adults. My other container has 20 adult discoids unknown male:female count. I've got to get one colony up and going quick before I have to buy too many more boxes of crickets. My third container has a decent amount of adult hissers and some juvies. I haven't seen any babies in there in a while now, I'm hoping my heated box will change that but I have to wait a while.

Whats the fastest reproducer that I should put my money into to get started.

1000 lateralis / $45 1/8 - 3/4 inch sizes
    http://market.kingsnake.com/detail.php?cat=28&de=472451

200 blaberus discoidales for $50.00 shipped with 100 supposedly being adults
    http://market.kingsnake.com/detail.php?cat=28&de=402670

or has anyone seen a better deal? Thanks

http://market.kingsnake.com/detail.php?cat=28&de=472451

Thanks

I belive it is the lateralis. My friend breeds them and he seems to do really well with his buisness. He sometimes give me some free.
    John Barkowski
    1.0.0 Ice/Sandfire Bearded Dragon
    0.1.0 Beagle Terrier
    0.1.0 Toy Chihuahua
    Unless we act now to stop illegal trade, we will eventually find only a dust bowl, emptied of all its forests and animals.

Thanks

I'd love to have a friend give me free roaches. I got most of my hissers for free. I'm hoping to get the guys whole colony because he was talking about euthanising the whole colony. I'm going to send him an email and find out what he's decided.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 789 View Post
    The vasoline isn't going to stand up to the 90 degree heat. What is bug boundary? I say one place that had it for 10 an ounce and then double d's roach place has bug boundary for 2 dollars an ounce and says that is is a commercial grease. I'm thinking that these are two different things.
    Hi,
    Yes - they are 2 different products.

Let me provide some info on Bug Boundary.
    It is a teflon-based, paint on product that dries to a slick surface. It is the only thing we have found that will keep fruit flies from climbing out of a container. We also use it to keep our roaches contained.

We have been offering this product for many years, and many herp keepers continue to use it. Whatever the size that we offer, it also comes with a foam paint brush and shipping is included in the price. We advertise on KS regularly, and a few other roach sellers also offer our product.

Since we sell feeder roaches - hissers; lobsters; discoids; dubia; lateralis, etc. - Bug Boundary seemed like a "must have" for our customers. We use Bug Boundary on all the roach tubs. It is not affected by heat, and is so much less messy than any type of grease.

If you want to use an oil or grease - we have found that olive oil or Crisco shortening works quite well too. If you want to use a greasy substance, it is far less expensive to use what you already have in your home.

When we feed our herps from cups (chameleons), we use crisco or olive oil around the rim of the cup to keep the roaches in. We also use vasoline.

I hope this helps explain about the product we offer. If you have any other questions - please do not hesitate to ask.

Morgana / Reptayls, Ltd.

Thanks

Thanks. When I find proper size totes I'll pick up some of your stuff. The totes I have right now aren't very goo fits for my container.

I need tote 25" long, as wide as possible for the floorspace and I think a foot tall would be good to keep the roaches in. The best for floorspace is those under bed totes but they're only 6 inches tall at best.

I'm sure your product will stand up to the temps, but vasoline definitly doesn't. Do you know if crisco will melt at 90 degrees? I don't have a hot side at 90, the whole container is 90. Do you just coat the entire sides with olive oil since it'd run down.

Thanks

We only use olive oil on our individual feeder cups. I am certain that olive oil would run down the sides of a tote when it is 90F... not sure about solid Crisco - would have to try it.

All our totes (tubs) have the Bug Boundary on it.

Morgana / Reptayls, Ltd.

Thanks

Thanks. Looks like you signed up just to reply to my post, I feel special. How many ounces would I need for 3 or 4 totes? Once I find some the right size I'll know how much to get.
    Thanks again