Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Millipedes

Thanks

Default Black Millipedes

I recently saw a post on black millipedes and how they have mites. I checked 3 of them out at my local store and I looked at the mites. They are very visible and if they were to harm the gecko I think it might eat them. I would like some more information on them if anyone has any.
    John Barkowski
    1.0.0 Ice/Sandfire Bearded Dragon
    0.1.0 Beagle Terrier
    0.1.0 Toy Chihuahua
    Unless we act now to stop illegal trade, we will eventually find only a dust bowl, emptied of all its forests and animals.

Thanks

Here is an old post about millipedes and mites.

http://www.pangeareptile.com/forums/...ighlight=mites

Hope that helps

Thanks

I have one of those giant millipedes and it hasn't been eaten by anyone yet. It also has those mites on it, but I think they serve as a similar thing like "cleaner fish" on whales and sharks, etc. None of my Cresteds have mites as a result of cohabiting with the millipede.

Hamam, the millie, does share the fruit with his roommate, though And he likes the occasional collard, turnip, dandelion, etc. (I give him greens about 4-5 days a week and fruit whenever the gecko has some )

Thanks

I have two millipedes in two seperate cages, one with my boys that actually doesn't have mites (her name is mildred) and one that I have hesitated to put with another one of my males because it has the mites (milfred). From what I have read so far, the mites seems to be fine, the geckos don't seem to eat them and they are not going to get on the geckos because many mites are species specific
    4.6.5 ciliatus:
    Lash, Thor, Pangea, Rhen, Signy, Eris, Juis, Urth, Roan, Demeter, Anatola, 3 babies!
    RIP Odin, my little red man!

1.1 Bearded Dragons:
    Isis and Osiris

0.0.1 Albino Leopard Gecko:
    Bonez

1.2 Archispirostreptus gigas (African Giant Black Millipedes)
    Milfred (Fred),Mildred (Mili) and Millard

RIP Nell (my guinea pig) I love you.

Thanks

I am going to get a millipede as soon as I get some money!!!

Yes the millipedes mites are symbiotic they clean the dead skin and stuff that the millipede cant reach.
    John Barkowski
    0.1.0 Beagle Terrier
    0.1.0 Toy Chihuahua
    Unless we act now to stop illegal trade, we will eventually find only a dust bowl, emptied of all its forests and animals.

Thanks

Yup all they are are hosts that will stay on the Millipede.I beleive Dr.alan has a pretty good pic or 2 of the actuall host parasites on a Millipede.

Thanks

You can see em crawling all over the millipede.
    John Barkowski
    0.1.0 Beagle Terrier
    0.1.0 Toy Chihuahua

Thanks

Here are a few pics of 1 of mine.

Thanks

This is a very interesting and exciting concept. I would like more information. Aren't giant black millipedes from Africa and Cresties from New Caladonia, off of Australia? Would putting the two species together really work out well? Also, does the millpede and crestie ever interact? Do they both burrow and run into each other? Does the millipede ever walk over top of the crestie? I know the millipedes have kind of sharp legs they use for climbing- you can feel it when you hold them. I would assume this on the skin of the crestie would be an unnecessary stress for the crestie. Has anyone ever witnessed their interaction? Thanks Very fascinating idea!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bludaffodils View Post
    This is a very interesting and exciting concept. I would like more information. Aren't giant black millipedes from Africa and Cresties from New Caladonia, off of Australia? Would putting the two species together really work out well? Also, does the millpede and crestie ever interact? Do they both burrow and run into each other? Does the millipede ever walk over top of the crestie? I know the millipedes have kind of sharp legs they use for climbing- you can feel it when you hold them. I would assume this on the skin of the crestie would be an unnecessary stress for the crestie. Has anyone ever witnessed their interaction? Thanks Very fascinating idea!!
    Well seeing as they basically have the same care,then it is not a problem.i have kept as few in with Gekko vittatus unclosures without any problems at all.Only thing that would be of concern is if the Millipede gets newvous and secretes (wich i have not seen to many do so).
    But i know there are alot of people out there that keep them in vivariums with other herps and have done so with years and no problems.Pretty sure Alan does also.