That is the typical RES experience. People buy them when they're small, and later discover they can get to be a foot long. If you're looking for tank suggestions, I have a few, but I don't know if any will work for you. I've heard good things about Waterland tubs. You'd have to place it somewhere where you could siphon water out and refill it with a hose, because emptying and filling something that big with buckets would be a real chore. One of my colleagues had a waterland tub in her kitchen: she drained it by siphoning water out of a hose that she ran out of the back door onto the grass. She filled it using a hose attachment on her kitchen sink. Some people use plastic cattle tanks (basically big watering troughs). Those typically have drains, though I don't know what kind of tubing you attach to the drain. There's the Living Stream fiberglass tank, but they weigh a ton and are very expensive. But glass tanks of comparable size also weigh a ton. I met a 100 year old lady once who kept her pet RES (both were 45 years old) in her bathtub (she didn't use the bathtub for herself). That sure would make for easy water changes! But you'd have to rig up lighting safely somehow, and some kind of heating/circulation if the water gets too cold. And you wouldn't want to share germs with your turtles, so you'd need to bathe yourself somewhere else. Or disinfect the tub every single time, which I can tell you from experience gets really tiresome after a while. If you don't already know, canister filters can keep water cleaner for longer. I liked the Rena canister filters when I had water turtles. They are powerful and customizable. But that does add extra work and expense, because you have a filter to clean periodically and cartridges to replace. One of the things I did to keep water clean for longer was to feed my turtles in a separate container of water with a lid. Just a rubbermaid plastic "shoebox" (or sweater box if your RES is too big for a plastic shoebox). And I didn't have any substrate like gravel on the bottom of the tank. Just bare tank floor. That allowed me to do one 50% water change where I siphoned out the crud on the bottom of the tank before I had to do a 100% water change. Doing that, and having a canister filter, reduced the frequency of 100% water changes, which were hard for me at the time because I had to fill the tank using buckets of water. If I had to do that over again, I would get a really powerful powerhead pump, fill the tub with water, put the powerhead in the tub with a hose running to the tank, and fill it that way. You'd want your tank near the tub for that to work, and you'd need your tub to be free of soap scum and chemical scum. That's not good for animals.