Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turtles

Thanks

Default Turtles

Your standard pet turtle. Able to handle? bites a lot? how expensive is the set up/ to maintain it? what food do they eat. I've seen them eat fish, but I've also seen them housed with fish! I think a turtle with a nice pond area and basking but with the freshie fish in the pond are really cool!

Thanks

They can be great pets! Very friendly most of the time(ive seen the occasional grumpy butt as any animal can be) depending on which kind of turtle you get, most need a rather large enclosure though. Most water turtles will need a 75 gallon tank or large as a adult. They will eat the zoo med pellets(red eared sliders, painted turtles, ect) and will even eat feeder fish(I wouldnt feed goldfish, just guppies and minnows) theres a turtle forum you could join for more info

Thanks

I'd be interested in that closer to the time of that project.. i think my next project when i'm ready is a giant day gecko/whites tree frog enclosure! Jon from giantdaygeckos.com told me they can work well together if the sizes are right!

Thanks

What is that forum? I am a turtle owner/breeder, and was wondering what the forum was. Thanks in advance.

Thanks

The "standard" turtles. (Sliders, painteds, cooters, sidenecks?). All of those are what would be considered the "standard" pet turtle, unlike... alligator snappers, muds, musks, boxes, and maybe tortoises. So, if they are hatchlings, they are probably around 100-300 dollars. If you are one of those owners that will care, for example, I remember having seen an unboxing of a turtle, and the "home" was literally about an inch high of water, and the "tank" was plastic, and probably 1.5 gallons or so. If you care, and are willing to take care, it would be, again: 100-300 dollars. May I suggest you get a kit? I saw one (Zoo Med, and at my local pet store) at around $180. If you got a kit, then... you can change the supplies to a new tank, and, generally, for each inch of shell- 10 gallons, so... if I were you, I'd get a 50G and up tank with a kit. So let's say you got a 20G kit, and a 60G tank, it would be... less than $300 maybe. So, you wouldn't have to keep buying, and buying, and buying, and it would save you some money in the long run. Of course, it is up to you what you will buy your turtle, but, these are just suggestions.

Thanks

Also if you consider a RES turtle, please consider adopting rather then buying one as they are overpopulated in many parts of the world and many need homes.

Thanks

Turtle biologist here. The fact that you are asking extremely basic questions about a non-existent "standard" pet turtle suggests you don't know much about turtles. That's okay, we all start from ignorance. I urge you to read up on turtles, find a species available in the pet trade that you like, and read up on that particular species' requirements before taking the plunge. Please do that. Keeping turtles PROPERLY is actually a lot of work and can get expensive. And it's a long-term commitment. You must never, EVER release a pet turtle into the wild! So once you get your turtle, you're going to have to care for it yourself for the rest of its life (possibly decades) or adopt it out to someone else. So you need to know what its habitat and nutritional requirements will be at all ages. I don't recommend red-eared sliders to most people. They get big, can be bite-y, require lots of space and clean water, and live for at least 40 years. Keeping your aquatic turtle's water clean is hard work, and is vital to their health. As is full-spectrum lighting and appropriate diet (Zoomed isn't good enough as a sole diet; Repcal is better). Pet shops tend to sell baby turtles that grow way too big for the vast majority of people to keep as pets. The African Spur-thighed tortoise is a prime example of that. Most people don't want to get a bathtub-sized tank and deal with all the filtration equipment and water changes an adult red-eared slider would need.
    I'm not saying don't get a pet turtle. I'm saying research to find one that matches your ability to care for it. I would also encourage you to consider adopting a turtle. A lot of people get cute little turtles at the petshop, discover they bit off more than they can chew, and give them to shelters and reptile rescues.
    I also encourage you to find your nearest reptile veterinarian. I say that to all reptile owners, but I make the point especially strongly to turtle owners. It's easier to mess up a turtle's life and health with improper husbandry than it is with most other reptiles. If you're not willing to spend money to take your turtle to a reptile vet if it gets sick, I would advise you not to get one.

Thanks

MotherOfTurtles
    I already have a RES turtle. Curious, what kind of turtle do you recommend to most people?.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ExoticDreams View Post
    MotherOfTurtles
    I already have a RES turtle. Curious, what kind of turtle do you recommend to most people?.
    I was responding to the original poster in regards to RES, since they didn't sound like they knew much about turtles.

I don't have a favorite turtle to recommend as a pet to most people, because 1) most people aren't able to provide turtles with what they need to thrive for decades, and 2) a person's living situation and financial situation is a key factor to consider. In my professional opinion, a "good pet turtle species" is one for whom an owner can give them everything they need to be healthy and thrive for all the decades of their life. Nutrition and habitat requirements are different for every species, and owners differ in their ability to provide them. So there's not a one-size-fits-all turtle. RES can be a "good" pet turtles for people who can give them enough space, consistently clean water, quality nutrition and sunshine at least some of the time (and high quality lighting the rest of the time). A lot of them get aggressive as they get older. An African spur-thighed tortoise can be a "good" pet for someone with a good outdoor enclosure with lots of space to roam and deeply buried fencing. You also have to consider the laws in your state/country regarding which species you can legally keep. I can make one generalization about pet turtles: I recommend captive bred turtles only. Turtle species are going extinct all over the globe because they are all being gathered up to be sold in the pet trade, or people take them from their backyards. Most of them die prematurely.
    For a responsible owner committed to their needs, an ADOPTED or captive bred (NOT wild caught!!!) adult box turtle can be a "good" turtle pet, though they thrive best if they live outdoors at least part of the year. Raising baby box turtles is for advanced keepers only and the babies simply have to live outdoors for part of the year to avoid life-shortening deformities. An adult box turtle can be kept pretty in something at least the size of a medium Vision tub (the large Vision tub would be better) as its indoor enclosure. The medium Vision tub is about the size of a large couch. I don't know if stinkpot turtles are sold in the pet trade much, but they are an aquatic turtle species that stays small and does okay indoors most of the year. Painted turtles need more space than most people think, but still less space than a RES, and you definitely need to check state laws before you get one because owning native reptiles as pets is illegal in some states. But good water quality is key to a healthy aquatic turtle, so if you can't do the work of keeping the water clean, I don't recommend an aquatic turtle. There are some smaller tortoises like russians, greeks and cherry heads can be "good" pets if given the right conditions. I don't typically recommend large tortoises as pets unless, as I said, you live in a climate where they can live outdoors in a large enclosure most or all of the year. Most people can't provide that. Even the smaller tortoises need a lot of space, are pretty messy, and not everyone will enjoy the work of making a nutritious salad for them every day.
    The amount of sun you can provide is another key factor to consider. All turtles that I can think of that are sold in the pet trade need some exposure to unfiltered sunlight for good health. There simply is no substitute for sunlight. Glass filters out the UV rays they need, and screen filters a little bit out. So you can't just set them next to a closed window and call it a day. Some turtles need more sunlight than others. But they all need it. Even 15 minutes of sunlight provides more benefit than 24 hours of artificial UV light. Just be careful not to overheat them. They need to be able to get out of the sun if they get too hot.
    Again, I'm not saying noone should have turtles as pets. I'm urging people to researchresearchresearch and choose a pet that they can care for properly.

Thanks

I was thinking later that a painted turtle would have been a better choice for me as I've had trouble upgrading my setup for my female RES.