Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beardie and UV lights

Thanks

Default Beardie and UV lights

Just looking for opinions on what light I should go with for my beardie cage.

It is 6 foot long, 2.5 foot deep, and 2.5 foot tall. The basking platform is to the right and is less than a foot high and about 14 inches from the heat bulb.

I've used Zoo-Med Powersun 100 watt in there which I found out heated the enclosure up too much but the beardie didn't seem to mind. It broke after about 3 months of use and I had lost the reciept and never sent in for warranty. I had pretty good results with it.

When it broke I went to the Exoterra Reptiglo 8.0 that I'd bought and hadn't used. It gave off a very blue light and only lasted a few weeks. Is this color normal?

My fixture is 4' long. I'm debating between a fluorescent or two so that she gets uv the entire length of the cage. If it's supposed to be the blue color I would need to get one true light bulb and one uv bulb. That blue color made me sick. What is the strongest florescent tube since the cage is so tall?

The 100 watt bulb was kicking the cool end temps up into the 95 degree range. I only found out because it fried a box of superworms I stuck in there to keep them warm. It turned out that neither of my thermometers were working. I have a fan I plan to install which should help keep temps down some, but my dad isn't a fan of paying to heat up air and paying for the a/c to cool it back off.

I was looking at www.reptileuv.com at the mega rays. It will cost me the same to get one of those as the powersun, other than I was hoping to return the broken bulb to zoomed. Does anyone have the external ballast lamp? I was looking at that so the cage didn't get so hot, but I'd have to add a heat lamp in there too, then have 2 devices creating heat. How much heat would the external ballast create?

Thanks

JBReptiles Guest

I really like to reptisun 10.0's for my desert animals. It is made my ZooMed inc. I order mine from www.reptilesupply.com I have to order a new one soon.

Thanks

That's the one I was looking at if I got the fluorescents. Does it have a real noticable blue tint? My 8.0 did, but I think it was messed up. It burned out at both ends.

Problem is that my cage is 2.5 feet tall and the furniture isn't quite a foot tall. I'm not sure how much usable uv she'd get from it.

JBReptiles Guest

They recomend that the UV light fixture is no higher then 12 inches away from them. But I say give or take a little. I would call reptilesupply they are really good.

Thanks

12 inches on the 10.0? I read they were good down to 20. With my enclosure the highest basking space would be a little over 20 inches. I might have to call them up.

Thanks

I can't remember which I bought for little Hugo recently, the 8.0 or the 10, but whichever it is... it has a blu'ish effect. Also, from everything I've been reading on UV light for Beardies, etc. ...the bulb should be changed frequently even if it isn't burnt out. And I'm not sure if the UV requirement differences for adults vs. juvies are related to the allotted space between light and animal, (in our case, cuz Hugo is a juvie... *read tiny... his light is just 6" above him), but there is evidence that the UV is not even effective after certain distances. Of course, some brands and types are better than others.

Nice viv... where's the Beardie?

Thanks

In a corner of the house sleeping probably. I'll show some photos later on. About to get kicked off the computer

Thanks

Thanks

What a gorgeous beardie! But I'd get the reptisun 10.0, unless you are wanting the MVB (which may be better in your case since the light will be 20" away). The recommended is 6" away from beardie when basking. The MVB is recommended to be at least 12" away. It isn't a tube. I'd get the 10.0 for the length of the tank, and the MVB for the basking spot. Maybe you can lower the lights a bit? Good luck!
    3.6.3 Crested Geckos
    0.0.1 Bearded dragon
    0.2.0 Marbled Crayfish
    0.0.1 Axolotl
    1.1.0 Cats (Lightbulb and Paperclip)

Kazzy's Kritters

My iHerp Page
    Middle TN Exotic Pets Club

Thanks

I forgot to mention that those were in the fall of last year, she's a little skinny now after brumating. I must of been using the 8.0 bulb because her red/orange isn't hardly showing. The basking site is 20 inches or more from the fluorescents.

Two ways to lower the lights.
    1. Move the light to the back wall of the cage and bring them down. I've heard this is bad to have the light shining onto the beardie from the side. Not sure how true, maybe because in most cages the lights would be too close. It would also cast the light like it is early morning or late after noon all the time being sideways I guess. I don't think I want to be looking straight into the fluorescents every time I look into the cage.

2. Suspend the fluorescent and let it hang down a ways. I suppose I could but I don't think I'd like the look of it.

Thinking of those things I'm probably best with the MVB bulb, also had great results. Has anyone used the Megaray? I had the powersun and it said you had to mount it straight up and down with no angle. I had the slightest angle to it and it burnt out in 3 months. Can you angle the megaray?