Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Roach food

Thanks

Default Roach food

What's the cheapest roach food? I'd been using dog food but my chopper doesn't hardly crush up the dog food and I've recently read about not using dog food with red dye. Anyone know about this? Right now I'm just trying to get the colonies going so they aren't being fed to my lizards yet. Is there an easier source of protein? I feed oatmeal, greens, potato, and the dog food when i can get it crushed up. I'm tired of messing with the chopper for half a cup of dog food over 30 minutes of crushing

Thanks

all i use is the flukers cricket food with dry cgd & strawberry flavor mixed in with occasionally apples whenever i have any. i've fed cereal too.

Thanks

Is that the fluckers calcium enriched cricket grains? I was using that but was told the calcium wasn't good for roaches. I want to make sure I give them enough protein so they quit eating each other.

Thanks

I used to get my roach food from The Carnivorous Orchid. Great stuff, lasts awhile, and not expensive...

http://www.thecarnivorousorchid.com/...y&id=8&subid=8
    ~Sarah~
    www.CrestedLady.com

"This is your life, are you who you want to be?" -Switchfoot

Thanks

I just give mine left over veggie matter (like if I am pealing potatoes I will give them the shreds). I also give them all the leftover CGD which they just gobble up. All this cost me .....oh wait its Free LOL
    Derek Dunlop
    DDReptiles
    www.DDReptiles.net
    Croc's Rule- Steve Irwin

Thanks

Thanks. I'll check into ordering when I get some money.

How often do you feed a colony and how much? My colonies go through food fast and have a high death rate. I think I forget to feed them too often. Speaking of which, I need to go give them water crystals till I can get more potato

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 789 View Post
    Is that the fluckers calcium enriched cricket grains? I was using that but was told the calcium wasn't good for roaches. I want to make sure I give them enough protein so they quit eating each other.
    it is. i've been feeding them that for over 6 months and only had a couple die

Thanks

I never did get a response as to why it's bad, just like the red dye.

I'll continue to use it as I'd had two unopened containers. One of them had the moisture seal broken and is solid packed. Had to use the spoon like an ice pick to break out clods.

I don't have leftover cgd. I have one crested and 3 colonies of roaches. I do feed leftover greens, but I need protein.

How much protein in the flukers stuff?

Thanks

on the back of my container it has crude protein 20%

Thanks

I guess that should be enough protein. I guess I'll stick using up those two containers before deciding on what else to use, unless someone has an answer to the calcium thing.