Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Leachianus breeding

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Metal_Gecko View Post
    That is also true, and I speak from experience.
    At a San Antonio show, I had 190 gram friendly Sparky out on my shoulder, and sold 6 hand tame Tokays and 1 White Lined Gecko within the first 20min of opening.
    With trying to sell Tokays handling one is probably the best way to sell them. I know/seen many people who like Tokays and want one but would rather buy one that is tame or comes from tame parents and is more likely to be calm than others.

As the other guy asked, do you have a website or do you just vend shows?

Thanks

LOL yes, $900 is a great price for a pure locale Yate, but no I don't have a website yet, but my buddy and I have been thinking it's time for one.
    Right now we're just producing Halamaharas, Cresteds, Gargs, Chewies, and GT x Henkeli cross Leachies. Still building up our GT Leachie repertoire.
    4.3.0 Rhacodactylus leachianus - Yatè, Mt. Koghis, Rivière Bleue, purple Nuu Ana, Poindimiè
    3.2.0 Rhacodactylus ciliatus
    1.1.0 Gekko gecko
    2.1.0 Python regius

Thanks

Going once, going twice, sold! 900$ Pure Yate Leachie sold to InventorReptiles! Only in our dreams

Thanks

Understood man, it's cool. I've got no problem with you. As a matter of fact, I LOVE talking anything involving Leachianus.

So what is your beef with the Poindimiè locale? Some of the Poindimiès I've seen in person are freakishly huge. I've always been under the impression that they were supposed to be the largest Leachianus locale, but it seems that the Yate always end up being the largest of the GTs...
    Speaking of zoos, the Ft. Worth zoo has the largest GT Leachianus I've ever seen. I wish I knew what locale, or cross it was, but all I know is the thing is crazy dark, and crazy huge.

Exactly that is my beef with them. The Ft. Worth Zoo is where SOME of the animals that are now known as "Poindimie" originated, but apparently Zoos don't care for locale and did not have any information on the animals they got from europe. There's been some guys on facebook talking a lot about that stuff. Still awesome animals. I would love to see pictures of that gecko, were you able to snap some?

Thanks for the kind words. I do agree on him looking rather Yate-ish as well, but whatcha gonna do? You know it's funny, I shared pics of him with Mike Russo today, and he immediately recognized him, because he originally wanted to purchase him from Steve Cemeli, but Mike from Alpha Geckos beat him to it.
    He is 5 years old, and his weight tops out at 240 grams, so he's a bit too small to be any of the pure locale Type-A's, but perfect size for the "smaller Type-D" GT designation.

Size is more related to diet and husbandry. I know people with very "small" Type As while others have huge monsters out of the same pair. It all comes down to how you treat them in the first years. 240g is not bad, especially for a RB. My problem with them is that they show so many phenotypes, which normally isn't a case with a "locale" that originated from only one couple of geckos. But the Koghis animals show lots of variation, on the other hand, too.

WOW, I was under the impression that the Mt. Dore locale Leachies were smaller like the Rivière Bleue!
    Okay, so then what "Type" would they be if they're not Type-D like the Rivière Bleue? Also, do you know of any other locales that would be considered Type-D?

I don't know of any other locales to be put into the "Type D" thing, and i still don't know why there has to be Type B and Type C and Type D. To me, they resemble the same form of Grande Terre leachianus, especially since the original Type C animals are just abnormally large due to their old age, not due to genetics, since all offspring stay rather small under optimal captive husbandry. To me, if we had to apply the Type system to the locales (which i don't support by the way, i think it's nonsense to introduce a second system besides taxonomy + place of collection) there would probably only be "Type A" (patternless large GT, dark or light form) and "Type B" (all forms of patterned GTs).

Sure I can post up some pics of my Yates. I have a 275gram male, and a 46gram female.

Nice! Waiting for some pictures! We might compare. Frank Fast lineage i'm assuming?

What'd you get?
    Any pics?

Some GT forms, too. Still looking for legit dark morphs, maybe Europe will pop something up. I might share some pics of them soon.
    Added my 2cents

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Koghis View Post
    Exactly that is my beef with them. The Ft. Worth Zoo is where SOME of the animals that are now known as "Poindimie" originated, but apparently Zoos don't care for locale and did not have any information on the animals they got from europe. There's been some guys on facebook talking a lot about that stuff. Still awesome animals. I would love to see pictures of that gecko, were you able to snap some?
    Gotcha. Yeah that one at the Ft. Worth zoo is insanely huge.
    I wish I knew which locale/locales it was comprised of...
    No pics, but my dad lives up that way, and I had planned on snapping pics next time I go.

Size is more related to diet and husbandry. I know people with very "small" Type As while others have huge monsters out of the same pair. It all comes down to how you treat them in the first years. 240g is not bad, especially for a RB. My problem with them is that they show so many phenotypes, which normally isn't a case with a "locale" that originated from only one couple of geckos. But the Koghis animals show lots of variation, on the other hand, too.
    Fair enough.
    I don't know how he was raised what so ever, all I know is Steve Cemeli had purchased him from the original breeder, then Mike from Alpha Geckos purchased him from Steve, and I am the 4th(and hopefully) final keeper of him.

I don't know of any other locales to be put into the "Type D" thing, and i still don't know why there has to be Type B and Type C and Type D. To me, they resemble the same form of Grande Terre leachianus, especially since the original Type C animals are just abnormally large due to their old age, not due to genetics, since all offspring stay rather small under optimal captive husbandry. To me, if we had to apply the Type system to the locales (which i don't support by the way, i think it's nonsense to introduce a second system besides taxonomy + place of collection) there would probably only be "Type A" (patternless large GT, dark or light form) and "Type B" (all forms of patterned GTs).
    Yeah, see I agree there. I wasn't sure where the Mt. Dore fit in, and since they aren't really listed anywhere, and I doubted that the infamous Type-D was reserved specially for RB's, so I just lumped them in there too.
    As far as too many of the Type specifications, I also agree. Your formula would work, or even if it was as simple as ALL "pure locale" GTs were say Type-A, and all GTxGT or GTxHenkeli were Type-B.

Nice! Waiting for some pictures! We might compare. Frank Fast lineage i'm assuming?
    Honestly I'm not sure?
    I procured them through Don and Robbie Hamper.
    4.3.0 Rhacodactylus leachianus - Yatè, Mt. Koghis, Rivière Bleue, purple Nuu Ana, Poindimiè
    1.1.0 Gekko gecko
    2.1.0 Python regius

Thanks

Also keep in mind too, that anyone with a big name in the breeding business can sell them for more than "average Joe" at the booth next to him.
    For instance(fiction of course):
    Steve Cemeli of Leapin' Leachies has a booth next to mine selling the exact same pure locale Yate hatchling.
    His price - $1,200.00
    My price - $900.00
    Who sells their animals? He does. Before me, and all day long.
    Reputation goes a loooong way in the reptile game, ask anybody.

Also Steve Cameli is unlikely to sell a unknown locale as a locale
    Not saying you do but if you want to breed pure animals you either have to be lucky to end up with a honest guy or pay extra to someone like Steve

There are many unscrupulous sellers out there telling you what you wanna hear to make a quick buck

Thanks

That is very true.
    I like to give people the benefit of the doubt, but if I'm spending big $$$, then I definitely want a well known breeder giving me the goods. Just my preference is all, YMMV.
    1.1.0 Gekko gecko
    2.1.0 Python regius