Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Borrowing" geckos?

Thanks

Default "Borrowing" geckos?

Do people ever "borrow" someone else's male to breed with their female(s) until they mate and then give the male back to the breeder? Obviously you would have to pay the owner, or give them a certain amount of hatchlings or money from the hatchlings, but I was wondering if people ever do it.
    Mary Frizzell
    Check out my Facebook page at "Good Luck Geckos"

Thanks

Yep, it happens all the time. You will seem them pop up occasionally on the sale section here with people either looking for a breeder loan or offering a gecko for breeder loan. It usually happens when someone has a nice male that doesn't fit into their breeding plans.

Thanks

I thought that a breeder loan was when the male came for the whole season. ???
    Mary Frizzell

Thanks

Time varies, sometimes the male comes for the whole season or maybe just a couple weeks and anywhere in-between.

Thanks

Also, often the payment is not money, but baby geckers. . .
    3.4.0 Correlophus ciliatus (crested geckos)

Thanks

Could a female ever be on loan? I feel like I've seen this happen before...
    Mary Frizzell

Thanks

Females are loaned but not as frequent as males.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 799 Posts

A lot of breeder loans bring in one male to be with a lot of ladies. Sometimes people will loan a female or group of females but usually that coincides with a gecko-sitting arrangement if the owner of the females is going to be out of town for an extended period. It also requires a lot of trust to send your female to someone else, as she could be laying eggs that they aren't reporting to you.

A brief one night stand is possible but it's easier to ensure that its successful if the male can be put with the female after a while without eggs. If you have a local friend, this might be fine but you'd also need to think about quarantine. I wouldn't recommend it. Always house a new animal for 60 days regardless of who s/he is from.

Always get the arrangement in writing, whether there is money involved, a split of the offspring, or both. Also figure out who pays for shipping and if the loanee is responsible for replacement of the animal if s/he dies in their care. I wouldn't take even a brief breeding loan lightly.
    Specializing in Crested Geckos
    Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
    Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
    Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 799 Posts

A lot of breeder loans bring in one male to be with a lot of ladies. Sometimes people will loan a female or group of females but usually that coincides with a gecko-sitting arrangement if the owner of the females is going to be out of town for an extended period. It also requires a lot of trust to send your female to someone else, as she could be laying eggs that they aren't reporting to you.

A brief one night stand is possible but it's easier to ensure that its successful if the male can be put with the female after a while without eggs. If you have a local friend, this might be fine but you'd also need to think about quarantine. I wouldn't recommend it. Always house a new animal for 60 days regardless of who s/he is from.

Always get the arrangement in writing, whether there is money involved, a split of the offspring, or both. Also figure out who pays for shipping and if the loanee is responsible for replacement of the animal if s/he dies in their care. I wouldn't take even a brief breeding loan lightly.
    Specializing in Crested Geckos
    Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
    Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
    Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Spyral For This Useful Post:

GoodLuckGeckos (01-15-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spyral View Post

Thanks you for the very thorough reply.
    Mary Frizzell