Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Heating pad for leopard gecko?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Viridis85 View Post
    10 minutes unregulated, small Zoo Med, ten gallon tank.

Attachment 53044

Even with a layer of substrate, could you imagine temps if it were allowed to run indefinitely? I am not bashing anyone, just trying to put out the facts.
    Your reply made me worried about the accuracy of the termometer. You were right, 100 degrees with the small heating pad. Will be working on an alternative now. Thanks for catching me on it!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gatorgeckos View Post
    Your reply made me worried about the accuracy of the termometer. You were right, 100 degrees with the small heating pad. Will be working on an alternative now. Thanks for catching me on it!
    No problem, it's hard to find good reptile thermometers. Thankfully, my pops is a contractor and he taught us all how to spot and use quality hardware (that's just a standard temperature gun, you can get a decent one at any hardware store for $35-$50, I do not see much point in the $75+ models). I didn't use thermostats until about 5 years ago when I had a rescued corn burn himself due to my own neglectfulness (luckily he made a full recovery and now all belly heat in my collection is regulated).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Paige23 View Post
    So how long would you say I should have it on for in a day?
    As long as your at home you should be good doing what you are doing with the 2 hours on/off, the main thing is ventilation which it looks like you are doing good at. I highly recommend you never leave it on while you're away (like you're doing), reptile pads are designed to operate 24/7 in places where ventilation is slightly limited, human heat blankets are not. Just use your instincts and I am sure you'll be fine .

Thanks

Alright, Thank you. When is a good time to keep it off for the night?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Paige23 View Post
    Alright, Thank you. When is a good time to keep it off for the night?
    Just as you go to bed is fine. If you decide to grab a thermostat for the reptile pad, the cheap little $20 ones by reptile brands are not the best but they work if you're on a tight budget, just make sure you buy it from a store with a good return policy because I hear only about 1 out of every 3 actually work consistently. lol.