Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heating pad for leopard gecko?

Thanks

Default Heating pad for leopard gecko?

I just wanted to know, is a normal human heating pad okay to use under the tank of a leopard gecko for a temporary heating pad until I can afford a reptile one??
    I set it on medium heat, and I left it on for a bit. Its been an hour and I have been going back every 10-15 mins or so to make sure its not getting too hot on the glass. I have paper towels as my substance as well.

Thanks

I am not going to lie to you, that can be a dangerous situation if there is not enough air flow going on. What temperatures are you reading right now? Do you have it connected to a thermostat?

Thanks

I have it just plugged in to the wall. I was planing to leave it on for 2 hours, then turn it off for 2. Leave it on for another hour and a half, then turn it off for the night. something along that routine. Ill get the readings in a bit as im not home. I turned it off before I left by the way.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Paige23 View Post
    I have it just plugged in to the wall. I was planing to leave it on for 2 hours, then turn it off for 2. Leave it on for another hour and a half, then turn it off for the night. something along that routine. Ill get the readings in a bit as im not home. I turned it off before I left by the way.
    Ok, that's good. Sorry if it seemed like I was jumping on you, it's just that after treating a few burns it's just something you do not like to see . What heat pad do you plan to get? You want to get a solid hot spot of 90F for leos but most quality reptile heat pads will easily hit into the low 100s, therefore it's best to use them with a thermostat. Nothing fancy though, you can get a basic one for under $40.

Thanks

Okay LOL!! I wasn't assuming you jumping at me LOL!! I just wanted to know if it is possible to use one. Ill post pictures tomorrow on how I have it under the tank. I don't have it without air flow as well. I put a paper towel folded up as thick as possible and I stuck it under the tank so it keeps it lifted a bit I put her on that side of the tank and she walked a bit then laid down right away. She moved from it not long after into her moist hide. she likes that the best in the day time LOL!!

Thanks

I use the ZooMed heating pad for my leopard gecko, and my thermometer on the hotspot gives readings in the low 90's. They are like $20 and I don't use a thermostat. Paper towel substrate.

Thanks

10 minutes unregulated, small Zoo Med, ten gallon tank.

Name:  012.jpg
Views: 1237
Size:  103.2 KB

Even with a layer of substrate, could you imagine temps if it were allowed to run indefinitely? I am not bashing anyone, just trying to put out the facts.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Viridis85 For This Useful Post:

Muffins94 (05-08-2014)

Thanks

So, a normal heating pad with the papertowel is okay? I have it now on just low, as my thermometer says its in the green. Its about 85-75 degrees. When I touch the bottom of the tank its not hot, but warm. I have it on for about 2 hours then off for 2

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Paige23 View Post
    So, a normal heating pad with the papertowel is okay? I have it now on just low, as my thermometer says its in the green. Its about 85-75 degrees. When I touch the bottom of the tank its not hot, but warm. I have it on for about 2 hours then off for 2
    Temporarily yes, but not long term. Keep a close eye on it until you can get a reptile pad. Remember, humans are endothermic whereas reptiles are exothermic, therefore they are more sensitive to variations in temperature...so touch isn't the best indicator. Heat blankets were designed for mammals and are not made to be below something so they can only work for you in a pinch until you get the proper equipment.

Thanks

So how long would you say I should have it on for in a day?