Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My First Live Vivarium Build

Thanks

Default My First Live Vivarium Build

As a few of you may know, I scored a nice 18X18X24 Exo Terra with a canopy over the summer for $30. I was planning on doing a nice live vivarium once my gecko grew, and he has! So I ordered most of my stuff from NEHerp, a site a highly recommend, and I am beginning my vivarium build once I have all my wood and rocks cleaned. Here was what my package looked like.
    Name:  009.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  93.8 KB
    Name:  010.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  94.3 KB
    Here is everything unboxed
    Name:  011.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  96.6 KB
    Name:  012.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  97.1 KB
    Here is all my plants. I got 3 ferns, 5 tillandsias, 1 ivy, 2 peperomia, and 1 sansevieria.
    Name:  013.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  94.6 KB
    A little slug I found on one of my plants!
    Name:  014.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  85.0 KB
    I also ordered some supplies for my monsoon mister I picked up at the reptile show for only $20! It was missing the filter, power adapter, 1 of the misters, and the y-connecter. I bought all I needed and can't wait to set it up! Here is my mister and what I bought.
    Name:  015.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  95.7 KB
    Name:  016.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  96.4 KB
    I haven't started my build yet because I still need to bake some wood tomorrow. After that is all done, I will begin the build. I will update you guys on what I do tomorrow once I have all my supplies ready. Thanks for looking!

Thanks

Looks like you have everything you need to get off to a great start! Have fun!
    1.1.4 Crested Geckos
    0.1.0 Boxador (1/2 Boxer-1/2 Black Lab)
    0.1.0 Girlfriend who likes my geckos but doesn't understand the obsession.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to insaneglitchx For This Useful Post:

dragoo (11-23-2013)

Thanks

Looks like it is going to be pretty nice, share the pics!

Rachodactylus Ciliatus

MUNKEY, PEACHES, MORROW, THIMBLE, KILI, GOLLUM, FALCOR, CHEECH & VALENTINE

Rachodactylus Auriculatus
    1.2.1 KEKO, ARRO, PEBBLES & FALCOR

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JumpinJewels For This Useful Post:

dragoo (11-23-2013)

Thanks

Morning update:
    I am boiling a bunch of cork bark for my background, I boiled my rocks late last night, and my grandmother will soon be baking my branches. After the cork boiling, I am going to soak my sphagnum moss so it can come back to life. Later this afternoon I will begin my cork mosaic background, so stay tuned!

Thanks

Ok so I was testing out my monsoon and I came across a problem. Every time I turn it on. The water wont come out like it is supposed to. It drips out or sprays weakly. I soaked the tips of the misters in vinegar and got a small needle and poked the holes but it still has problems. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks

So I was going to get silicon and I was looking online at some forums to see what silicon is recommended. I saw GE II and GE I used a lot, but I was wondering which is better? Or is DAP aquarium silicone good? Also, how long will it take to cure so I can put my plants and animal in? Thanks for looking and I hope someone can help!

Thanks

I'm pretty sure you want GE 1, window and door. GE II has a chemical in it that makes it cure faster. Verdicts out if it's toxic or not. I prefer not to risk it, so I stick wit GE I. I've only heard bad things about DAP. You could try it, it's basically all the same, but I hear quality control isn't as good as on the GE stuff.

As for curing, generally, I go with the rule of thumb, if the tank still smells, it's not cured yet. It can take anywhere from 24 hours, to several weeks. Play it by ear (nose?), and when it stops smelling like chemicals, you should be good to go.

Generally, you want to give the plants atleast a month to root into the tank, and for the tank to cycle before you add in your animal(s).

10. The Following User Says Thank You to pooky125 For This Useful Post:

dragoo (11-23-2013)

Thanks

I agree, avoid DAP. Also, The silicon is hazardous. It's not good to breathe in the fumes. Either wear a mask or just don't get your nose or mouth close to it. If you ever use Great Stuff, wear gloves, or your fingers will be coated with super glue-type crap for at least a week.
    1.1.4 Crested Geckos
    0.1.0 Boxador (1/2 Boxer-1/2 Black Lab)
    0.1.0 Girlfriend who likes my geckos but doesn't understand the obsession.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to insaneglitchx For This Useful Post:

dragoo (11-23-2013)

Thanks

Okay, so I will probably use GE I doors and windows black. I was planning on doing it in my sunroom where I can windows covering all walls and a door. I will wear a mask so I don't get sick. My sun room is slightly cold, will this effect the drying of the silicone? If it will then I can put in a space heater, but that be only a day thing when I am at home because I don't want it to get too hot. Thanks for the help and I will be beginning my background soon!

Thanks

Cold can slow down the curing time, yeah. Might want that space heater.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to pooky125 For This Useful Post:

dragoo (11-24-2013)