Thread: dubias are jerks!

Thanks

Default dubias are jerks!

So I got a small starter of juvenile dubia at White Plains this year and 6 matured (I fed off 4 or so), 2 female and 4 males. I had them in a med kritter keeper and I fed them CGD (leftovers) and misted them. Anyhow, after a bit of research I decided to give them a bigger home with more hiding places and more diverse food (high quality dry cat food, grains, and fresh carrots). I also realized that they were probably not warm enough, so I got a seed starter heat mat off of amazon to put under their tub. Well they've been in a the heated tub for a month or so and I still hadn't seen any nymphs, so today there was a show in Troy, NY and I decided to pick up a fresh culture since I figured that mine we likely pretty old and not going to produce anything... Anyway, the starter had like 6 adult females 3 adult males and 15 subadults and at least 20 small nymphs. Well, I was checking on my previous group while I got the tub ready for new inhabitants and I noticed nymphs!! Not many, but enough that I didn't need to purchase new roaches.... Anyway roaches are stupid. Or I needed to keep them better...

I have 5 geckos total now, one leachie who really likes live food, I'm hoping that she'll get big enough to put away adults eventually. I'm afraid my colony will get too big, have any of you been overwhelmed by your dubia colonies? If so what do you do? Also my tub is about 15 gal, is that big enough?
    2.0.0 Cats (rescued: domestic med hair, and ragdoll--Podraig, Otemma)
    0.2.0 Rhacodactylus leachianus henkeli (High white Pine Island and Pine Island (x Bayonnaise) )
    1.0.0 Rhacodactylus leachianus leachianus (GTA x Mt Khogis)
    0.2.0 Correlophus ciliatus (yellow flame, halloween harley, Eggs, Bacon)
    1.1.0 Mniarogecko chahoua (Pine Island)

Thanks

You could always eat the roaches yourself But if you do get too many to feed off, you could sell them really cheap so they get out quick or just get a bigger tank. Your tank sound like it should be big enough for a while. Hope this helps and you roach colony stays under control!

Thanks

I don't think that colony will become overwhelming if you are feeding them to that many geckos. I have a colony about that size and it feeds 3 Cresteds, 2 Gargoyles and 2 Leos just fine . I actually have to supplement the Leos with crickets and mealies... Just feed them off smaller if you need to lower your counts

Rachodactylus Ciliatus

MUNKEY, PEACHES, MORROW, THIMBLE, KILI, GOLLUM, FALCOR, CHEECH & VALENTINE

Rachodactylus Auriculatus
    1.2.1 KEKO, ARRO, PEBBLES & FALCOR

Thanks

I'm finding that you almost can't overcrowd the colony. They seem to breed better the more crowded they are. I probably have 4-5 thousand per tub.

Thanks

I appreciate the response, I'm still getting over the gross-factor with the adults. The juveniles don't bother me much. One of my chahoua juveniles ended up spitting out a nymph, I'm not sure exactly why, but the nymph survived and is back in the colony--I can tell because it still has a calcium dusting. It looked just on the cusp of being too big for the gecko so maybe that's why. Dubia seem tougher to eat and digest than crickets because of their shell, even the small ones see somewhat 'tough' to chew for the geckos, any comments on that?

I hope I don't need to get a bigger tub, but we'll see with time I guess. I will NOT be eating them myself, haha. I would have no idea how to go about preparing them...
    2.0.0 Cats (rescued: domestic med hair, and ragdoll--Podraig, Otemma)
    0.2.0 Rhacodactylus leachianus henkeli (High white Pine Island and Pine Island (x Bayonnaise) )
    1.0.0 Rhacodactylus leachianus leachianus (GTA x Mt Khogis)
    0.2.0 Correlophus ciliatus (yellow flame, halloween harley, Eggs, Bacon)
    1.1.0 Mniarogecko chahoua (Pine Island)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hooray View Post
    I appreciate the response, I'm still getting over the gross-factor with the adults. The juveniles don't bother me much. One of my chahoua juveniles ended up spitting out a nymph, I'm not sure exactly why, but the nymph survived and is back in the colony--I can tell because it still has a calcium dusting. It looked just on the cusp of being too big for the gecko so maybe that's why. Dubia seem tougher to eat and digest than crickets because of their shell, even the small ones see somewhat 'tough' to chew for the geckos, any comments on that?

I hope I don't need to get a bigger tub, but we'll see with time I guess. I will NOT be eating them myself, haha. I would have no idea how to go about preparing them...
    Dubias have much softer shells than most roaches.. So I don't know how they could be to hard. My geckos do just fine.
    Correlophus ciliatus x5 (Bella, mango, tiny, butterscotch and daisy, and yes daisy is a boy)

Mniargekko Chahoua x1 (Java chip)

Rhombodera stalli x5

Thanks

Dude my tokay geckos love dubias! The female alone has eaten five in one day the male can eat four! They are make me broke!!