Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New garg not so great

Thanks

Default New garg not so great

Well, I am spending too much time on this particular part of this forum and its wearing me down. I just opened my new gargoyles and the little male is not looking great. He appears to have a crooked spine and his tail is cocked off to one side. The tail thing may be because he is still in the shipping tub so I'll have to see about that as the day goes on. The back thing is freaking me out. He is very dark so I don't know if a pic will show what I am talking about. Down to his "waist" he is fine then there is kinda a hump. Is that a calcium thing or a birth defect thing (he is only 7 grams). This blows. He was the male for my new trio. Both girls are beautiful and he would be too except for this bone thing. I'll try to get a picture that is helpful. Any info would be appreciated.

Oh-what does floppy tail look like? I've read about it but my book doesn't give a good photo. In case the tail thing doesn't fix after he is out of the tub, that would give me a head start in what to look for.
    Suzanne
    8.12.10 Crested Gecko
    0.2 Gargoyle Gecko
    1.0 Bearded Dragon
    1.1 cats
    1.1 dogs
    1.2 humans, subadults
    1.0 husband with 30+snakes

Thanks

Can you take a photo of the bump or hump? It doesn't sound good as all that I've seen with humps like that have had a broken back. Was he kept in an area where he could have fallen a long way? Or did you just receive him recently (possibly jostled in shipping?)

The tail could be a sign of calcium deficiancy, however I've had a few young juveniles get crooked tails and I'm a calcium supplementing fool, so it hasn't been a calicum issue with the few of mine. And they all straightened back out eventually.
    ~ Dorothy ~

4.7 Crested Gecko ~ 2.0.1 Chahoua ~ 0.1 Gargoyle
    1.2 Leopard Gecko ~ 1.0 Bearded Dragon ~ 1.1 Pictus
    1.0 Anole ~ 1.0 Box Turtle ~ 1.0 Tree Frog

Thanks

I too hatch babies tho kink up the tail but it comes back fine. I've also never seen an auric with floppy tail. The back hump could be a calcium knot or something more sinister as Dorothy suggests.... good luck.

Thanks

Here are a couple pics. Hopefully these will help.

This is the hump
    Attachment 767

And this is a sucky pic, but you can see the tail thing.

Attachment 768

If his back is broken, what do I do? Can he live a decent life or should he be put down? His back legs move a little wierd which makes the broken back thing sound right. I hadn't noticed that at first. The guy I got them from said he saw the leg thing just before he shipped but thought it was because it was a cold morning and he had just woke him up. He is a very knoweldgeable guy so I figure he was in a hurry as he was packing and didn't look very closely. I am assuming it is a new injury.
    Last edited by 4minters; 02-11-2007 at 11:36 AM.
    Suzanne
    8.12.10 Crested Gecko
    0.2 Gargoyle Gecko
    1.0 Bearded Dragon
    1.1 cats
    1.1 dogs
    1.2 humans, subadults

Thanks

I cannot see the pics

Thanks

Hmmm, don't know. I can see them when I pull up the post. Anyone else??
    Suzanne
    8.12.10 Crested Gecko
    0.2 Gargoyle Gecko
    1.0 Bearded Dragon
    1.1 cats
    1.1 dogs
    1.2 humans, subadults

Thanks

I can see them. That looks... pretty bad. :/ Not normal, at any rate. Is there any way you can get your money back? Especially since the guy admitted he saw something was wrong before he shipped?

Poor lil guy

Thanks

Not in this situation. I hardly paid anything for them in the first place. I got 3 gargs (40g, 19g and 7g) and 4 cresteds (18g, 7g, 5g, 12g) and essentially I only paid for the big garg and shipping. He was in need of cash and I had already bought the rest of the collection. I think I will just have to take this as a consequence of such a good deal and take care of him as best I can even if that means letting him go.
    Suzanne
    8.12.10 Crested Gecko
    0.2 Gargoyle Gecko
    1.0 Bearded Dragon
    1.1 cats
    1.1 dogs
    1.2 humans, subadults

Thanks

at such a young age i would rather assume that the gecko might have been born with this defect rather than it breaking it. if it where an older animal i would than assume that he broke it. also i would think that if he had broken it perhaps he would have lost his tail. which is just speculation off on my part. it looks pretty nasty, maybe the right thing to do in this case would be to remove the tail, even though gargs will regrow them, this way it allows him to have some more movement and he doesnt have to carry around all of this other weight.. again just speculation on my part. although if he does have a broken back than removing the tail might do more harm than good.

corey

Thanks

My adult female has the same thing with her tail
    ~Christa~
    Avalon Reptiles

" If all the beasts were gone man would die from loneliness of spirit... for whatever happens to the beast, happens to the man" -Chief Seattle-