Thread: How to get the cigarette smell out of a tank?

Thanks

Default How to get the cigarette smell out of a tank?

Hi, we just bought an 18x18x24 Exo Terra from Craigslist and it reeks of smoke. I've wiped it with Clorox wipes, and cleaned with vinegar and water. I soaked the screen top in OxyClean and water. Yet every time I open the doors, it smells like cigarettes.

What can I do?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by glass slipper View Post
    Hi, we just bought an 18x18x24 Exo Terra from Craigslist and it reeks of smoke. I've wiped it with Clorox wipes, and cleaned with vinegar and water. I soaked the screen top in OxyClean and water. Yet every time I open the doors, it smells like cigarettes.

What can I do?
    Whenever I see publish like these that discuss e-cigs booming or something bad including them I always suppose a cigarettes professional is publishing them just to get individuals to not use them so they could buy the genuine factor.

Thanks

I acquired an exoterra from a smokers home too. It was outside so I couldn't smell the smoke. I washed it with water and vinegar and left it outside (it was summer). Even the plants that came with it smelled of smoke. The suction cups were discoloured with smoke stain. Need I go on? I have heard ammonia and baking soda work well. Use your search engine to find solutions online with 'how to remove cigarette stains'. The smoke eventually went away. Not sure if it was because I got used to it or the enviroment cleaned it up. We have a Lamp Berger at home to eliminate cooking odours. Very good luck to you. Very frustrating situation indeed; I was terrified my reptiles would get second hand smoke from the residue and keel over. The chameleon in the tank prior lived for 9 years so it gave me a little peace knowing some reptiles could withstand second hand smoke.
    Last edited by savannah blue; 03-07-2014 at 10:42 AM. Reason: spelling
    4.24.0 Crested Geckos
    0.2.0 Leopard Gecko

FB: Geckos by Design

Thanks

It has probably permeated the sealant. May not be able to get rid of it too easily.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Thanks

We painted the screen with black rustproof paint as there was some rust on the screen top, and repainted whatever damaged black borders there were too. I remember leaving a bowl of vinegar ( I think we tried charcoal too) inside the tank for a long long time as we were in no hurry to use it. Safe to say I check my resources now and buy new if I can or ensure that the seller is a non-smoker. At times hard to do, if its an especially good deal. It is now a live vivarium and all is well. Perhaps that has helped with the smell?
    Last edited by savannah blue; 03-07-2014 at 10:45 AM. Reason: add information
    4.24.0 Crested Geckos
    0.2.0 Leopard Gecko

FB: Geckos by Design

Thanks

I would probably baking soda the entire thing, especially along the seals. Let it sit for a day then use a vinegar spray bottle and spray all the baking soda with it. Let that sit for ten more minutes then rinse the whole thing out. Also maybe lemon juice?